Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Soda Exquise a.k.a. Mandragore by Annick Goutal

"Give me to drink mandragora...
That I might sleep out this great gap of time
My Antony is away."

Shakespeare: Antony and Cleopatra


Mandragore, the new fragrance from Annick Goutal, created by the house perfumer, Isabelle Doyen, in collaboration with Camille Goutal, was inspired by mandrake. The latter is the common name for members of the plant genus Mandragora belonging to the nightshades family. Their roots, which vaguely resemble a human figure, have long been used in magical spells and witchcraft. Described as “a bewitching and mysterious fragrance, within which the feminine and masculine merge together in secret harmony”, Mandragore has the notes of bergamot, black pepper, spearmint, star anis oil, mint, boxwood, ginger and mandrake.

I will not be the first to do so, but I must note the disparity between the name and the perfume itself. The name "Mandragore" conjures certain dark, witchy images; Annick Goutal's version on the other hand is light and sparkly and not really mysterious. It starts bright and citrusy (bergamot), then star anis comes into play and that is the stage I probably could do without, but then ginger appears and Mandragore is transformed into a gently sweet almost gourmand scent.

The drydown reminds me of the scent of Fresh Index's Soda Shampoo (mint, lavender, grapefruit), which is a compliment, because I love that smell. Mandragore is an effervescent, invigorating fragrance that successfully balances bright spiciness and gentle sweetness. If it were up to me to come up with the packaging and the name for this perfume, I would have opted to stick with Goutal's regular creamy boxes and transparent bottles; lovely as the purple color of the Mandragore packaging is, it is not descriptive of the vibrant, almost frizzy juice inside. As for the name, how about Soda Exquise? On a more serious note, I really like this fragrance and it is undoubtedly “full bottle worthy” for me, even if the said bottle is deceivingly purple.

Mandragore can be found at Drugstore.com, $69.00 for 1,7oz or $95.00 for 3,3oz.
*The ad for Mandragore is from Vogue.de; the photo of Soda Shampoo is from Fresh.com

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, LOL at "Soda Exquise"! Wonder if the new EdP version will be darker & more mysterious? I will have to give that Fresh shampoo a smell :-)

11:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

What's that? A new EDP version? Must. Try. :-)

11:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I can't wait to try the EDP! And love those butterfly bottles.

4:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Hi columbina! Thanks for dropping by my blog. I'm glad I followed you back here. I had no idea you had a perfume blog going. Its like stepping into a welcoming friends home!
Laura :-)

5:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Laura, I am so glad you found me! Welcome, welcome!!

6:19 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home