Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Perfume Review. HRH Rose: Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens

We are so accustomed to being constantly surprised, if not shocked, by the unusualness of Lutens’ perfumes that it is indeed astonishing, how comparatively simple this composition is, all rose, only slightly enhanced and showcased by woods and a light clove note. Luca Turin wrote in his blog that he finds Lutens florals “a little trite in a white-lace sort of way”. Having enthralled us with his art of juxtaposition, having startled us in the past by brutally animalic (Muscs Koublai Khan), cold, rubbery (Tuberose Criminelle) and camphoric (Borneo 1834) notes, Serge Lutens is perhaps starting to suffer consequences of his customers always waiting for a "twist", that curse of M. Night Shyamalan's career.

Where Sa Majesté la Rose is concerned, the twist is that there is no twist. What we have here is simplicity of a classic creation with its immaculately balanced proportions and harmonies. This is the Rose to rule all roses; she is a classical beauty, full of serene sensuousness and refined splendor, and all is order, beauty, richness, quiet and pleasure in her fragrant kingdom. Sa Majesté la Rose is an idealized portrait of a flawless rose, a rose as rose should be, a rose imagined by a love-struck poet, painted by a hopelessly romantic artist, Pygmalion’s perfect rose.

Sa Majesté la Rose is available at Aedes, $92.00 for 1,69oz


*The photo of Sa Majesté la Rose is from Aedes.com.
*The painting is Galatea by Gustave Moreau, Musée d'Orsay, Paris.

9 Comments:

Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello Columbina!

This one eluded me for a long time because the first sample I ever smelled of it was bad. I never knew how lovely it was because I was numbed by my first encounter. I am glad months later I gave it another chance, only to be shocked at how truly wonderful it is. Majeste la Rose and Petite Cherie by Goutal are the only 2 fragrnace I have owned that have "turned". I truly love both of them. If I were craving rose I would probaby reach for Creed Rose Bulgari, but I do love Majeste.

Thanks for a lovely review!

7:15 PM EST  
Blogger Nonna Gorilovskaya said...

Wanted to get your top pics of green tea and/or citrus scents...perfume-ignorant in Washington, ng

10:28 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

PJ, sometimes I wonder how many perfumes I dismissed as unpleasant and unwearable not knowing that they simply turned...

Creed Rose Bulgari is a beautiful scent, so so luscious, stunning.

8:45 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Nonnochka,
My favorite citrus scents are Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal and Cedro by i Profumi di Firenze. Both refreshing and "clear".
As for green tea scents, here are some I think are lovely. Bvlgari White Tea and Green Tea. I Profumi di Firenze The Verde. L'Artisan: The pour une ete.
Love,
M

8:51 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Absolutely. :-)

3:37 PM EST  
Blogger Nonna Gorilovskaya said...

Thanks Marinochka for your expert advice...I will report back.

7:33 PM EST  
Blogger Liz said...

There are three roses I love; this, Jo Malone's Red Roses, and Annick Goutal's Absolue. Sa Majeste La Rose is my very favourite, though; currently, I've run out. I feel a purchase coming on.

8:07 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Nonnochka, tozhe mne, nashla expert advice :-) Budu zhdat report!

10:17 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Squeezeweasel, oh, I looked at your blog...now I am starving...what a wonderful site you have!

10:18 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home