Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, January 09, 2006

Le Maroc Pour Elle by Andy Tauer


Le Maroc Pour Elle, the second fragrance by the very talented Swiss perfumer Andy Tauer, is a scent to wear whilst falling in love with a dark, handsome, brooding stranger in a faraway exotic land, in a bar where this song is playing: You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-... In other words, Le Maroc Pour Elle is a pefume to wear in Casablanca.

Le Maroc Pour Elle is heartbreakingly exquisite from start to finish. It begins on my skin with a peppery-sweet rose note and a dark, honeyed and indolic jasmine accord. There are few notes more attractive than an indolic jasmine note done right, like this one. I cannot satisfactorily explain what I mean by “right”, but if pressed to do so, I would say that its animalic character should be present but not overwhelming, it must smell “dirty” but in the softly suggestive manner, not like something that would bring to mind Lady Marmalade.

Jasmine and rose continue to be present, side by side, all through the scent’s development, but I must say that jasmine is more promiment to my nose than rose, which serves more like a luscious, sweet background for the dusky, rich jasmine accord. This is a twilight fragrance to me, gently dark rather than sunlit, especially in the drydown, where a cedar note is combined with an animalic accord that I believe to be the same indolic jasmine note (again Andy Tauer blends the notes in the way that makes them last all through the fragrance's development), only perhaps with an addition of some musk, I am not sure, but I love this soft, hushed, understatedly animalic, woody drydown. Le Maroc Pour Elle for me is a scent of an old black and white movie about beautiful, doomed love.

As I promised, I will leave you with Baudelaire’s poem, Evening Harmony, which fits this perfume to perfection:

Evening Harmony

Now is the time when trembling on its stem
Each flower fades away like incense;
Sounds and scents turn in the evening air;
A melancholy waltz, a soft and giddy dizziness!

Each flower fades away like incense;
The violin thrills like a tortured heart;
A melancholy waltz, a soft and giddy dizziness!
The sky is sad and beautiful like some great resting-place.

The violin thrills like a tortured heart,
A tender heart, hating the wide black void.
The sky is sad and beautiful like some great resting-place;
The sun drowns itself in its own clotting blood.

A tender heart, hating the wide black void,
Gathers all trace from the pellucid past.
The sun drowns itself in clotting blood.
Like the Host shines O your memory in me!


You could begin your own beautiful friendship with Le Maroc Pour Elle by clicking here or here. It is available at blueroll.com or lemaroc.ch, SFr. 85.00 for 3,4oz.

*The photo of Le Maroc Pour Elle bottle is here by Andy Tauer’s kind persmission. The second photo is a still from Casablanca.

PS. I changed the settings and it is now possible to leave comments without having a Blogger account.

15 Comments:

Blogger cjblue said...

Where do you find these fragrances? More importantly, how can you make every single one of them sound phenomenal? You're a very talented writer and I don't usually have much to add to your incredible posts but I do feel compelled to say here: I *love* Lady Marmalade. :D

I'm OK with indoles, but I have a very iffy relationship with musk. Is the musk very prominent, or is it the breeze which carries the scent?

Animalic Woody drydown, wow. Voulez-vou coucher avec moi?

10:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Tee hee! I love Lady Marmalade the song too. I think she was a fun lady. But I have misgivings about her possible choice of perfume for some reason.

I am not sure there IS musk, the drydown is softly animalic, and I think it is most probably the same indolic jasmine note just slightly changed when blended with other notes in the drydown. If there is musk, it is not prominent at all.

10:50 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Wow, both of the Andy Tauer scents sound incredible (you are becoming one of my prime lemming-mongers!:) And thank you for the Baudelaire! The links in this post don't work for me, but I was able to access the stores in your earlier AT post. Do you know if they will send samples?

11:02 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Never mind, just found the sample link (and clicked on it as soon as my little fingers would)! My mind may be slow today, but my fingers are fast. . . Can't wait to try!

11:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Sorry about the links, they had double https, arrgh.

I am always happy to know I have enabled someone to buy or sample something. Luctor and Enablemus - how is that for the motto? :-)

Very glad you found the sample link, please let me know what you think of the scents.

11:19 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
I am incredibly impressed with both Andy Tauer's scents. Have you tried the other fragrance? I am debating now, which one to get first, I cannot choose.

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Ah, this one sounds more like my cup of tea...must investigate!

12:15 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I think you will like this one, definitely. They are both very much worth investigating! :-)

12:49 PM EST  
Blogger carmencanada said...

Ok, so now I want Le Maroc pour elle too... Indolic, animalic jasmine can actually make me cry for the beauty of it: it reminds me of nights in Andalucia, with little white stars spilling over private garden walls. Sigh...

1:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sigh...
What a beautiful comparison!

1:26 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Ah, yes honeyed. It does have that sort of feel to it, doesn't it?

For me when jasmine is done "right" it has to have a gauzy quality to it: like it's both a veil and yet see-through at the same time. But I know what you mean about "dirty," too, though in my thoughts I never think of it in that way. I just feel it as a sexy purr, heh.

Lovely review M.

6:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
I like gauzy jasmine too. BUt it cannot be green or "fresh". Like tuberouse can't be green or fresh. Those kinds don't work on me at all.
I guess you coud say Le Maroc is gauze but nehind that gauziness...there is something alluringly "dirty" :-P

7:04 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
Thank you! It has sillage, but it is not a heady scent. Rich, luscious, but not heady like lets say Fracas is heady. You know what I mean. You will leave a trail of sillage but it will be subtle. It lasts good 5-6 hours on me.

7:05 PM EST  
Blogger Heather said...

Beautifully written as always - Of everyone that I know who has sampled it, the 'L'air' has proved universally more popular. I've never found anyone choose Le Maroc over L'air

Le Maroc is my favourite but I am way way in the minority.

If that helps people in the choosing - which of course it doesn't but I thought I'd chip in!

4:57 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I still can't choose...but I will have to since I can't order both right away...I may start with Le Maroc...decisions, decisions!

9:45 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home