Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Perfume Review: Susanne Lang Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a part of Susanne Lang’s Made to Measure collection, subcategory Decadent Spice. I would not describe it as either decadent, or spicy, or indeed black. According to Susanne Lang herself, “beauty is most alluring when it is subtle”, and that sentiment defines Black Orchid perfectly; it is a delicate, pretty scent, subtly seductive and eminently wearable.

For the life of me I could not find the official list of notes; Black Orchid is described as a lush vanilla floral, and as far as my nose can tell, it is a blend of vanilla and what I percieve to be jasmine. The two notes exist side by side throughout the whole fragrance development. At no point is one note louder than the other, and not even in the drydown does vanilla overwhelm the jasmine. I consider that a very good and rare thing, because so very often in Vanilla and Something fragrances, vanilla takes over right after the top notes stage.

Black Orchid is not exactly original, in fact it reminds me of a much gentler and much more floral Trouble by Boucheron, but, just like Trouble, it is an extremely enjoyable, beautiful scent that is very easy to wear anytime, anywhere.

It is available at LuckyScent either as a part of Decadent Trio set of three 30ml bottles ($120.00), or as a part of Ultimate Vanilla Collection of nine 4ml bottles ($95.00). I think, or rather I hope, that it is possible to purchase Black Orchid on its own, in some other stores. Please comment if you know where!

Edited to Add: Black Orchid has been renamed and is now called Midnight Orchid.

*The photo of Decadent Trio set is from LuckyScent.com.

15 Comments:

Blogger andy said...

Dear Colombina
There are moments in life when one starts to wonder ... I had posted my little note this morning and then read your post and voila: Vanilla!
I absolutely support your point: It is very difficult to balance Vanilla and Jasmin and I must see that I can get a hold of Black Orchid. Thank you for bringing this point up.... but where's the Baudelair poem ;-) ?

2:44 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Andy,
Great minds think alike :-)
As for the Baudelaire poem, I sincerely believe that at this point you might be the only one missing it (and even are joking, I am sure). Mayeb I will switch to Pablo Neruda :-D

8:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I used to be a vanilla fiend in my pre-MUA and early MUA days, btu not anymore. Now even SL Un Bois Vanilla is too vanilla-y for me :-)But this one I really like.

8:49 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

I miss the Baudelaire! No joke--but no pressure either; and Pablo Neruda would be great too.
On topic--glad to hear of something that sounds nice but not necessary (I am drowning in lemmings), although I generally like jasmine and I enjoy vanilla when it's mixed with other things, so. . .

11:12 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I am drowning in lemmings too, in fact I believe I have drown already, sunk, kaput, what have you. I cannot keep up with new releases anymore :-)

11:35 AM EST  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

I wear Fleurs de Citronnier or, on occasion, L'Instant for the white flower and vanilla vibe. I haven't tried this one. I was curious about Velvet Rope, though, and now will seek it out.
Thanks for the review,
Cait

12:58 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
Thank you for the recommendation. I put it on my To Try List. I must say I am a little scared of the grapefruit note. I have been violated in the past by scents like Baby Doll, Pamplelune and Dolly Gilr *shudder*

1:04 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
It can certainly wait. Especially since you already have Trouble. I am not saying they are identically. But are along the same lines.

1:05 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cait,
I should re-try L'Instant. Now is the time of the year when I seem to enjoy these kinds of scents. Did you try L'instant Noel version?

1:06 PM EST  
Blogger Victoria said...

First let me say the grapefruit in Velvet Rope burns of rather quicky and it is not, I repeat, is not the grapefruit in Pampelune!

I have not tried the Suzanne Lange you are reviewing, but I have fallen hard for another in her trio set, the Red Ginger. And alas, it cannot be purchased seperately.

8:01 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Victoria,
Arrgh, I hate when they do that. Why make customers lifes difficult? Why not sell everything in sets, separately, in big, medium, small sizes? Why? So frustrating!

8:45 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

I am also not a huge vanilla fan -- it seems so ubiquitous, and it tends to dominate a number of scents these days (is vanilla the new musk?). But this sounds just perfect. Thanks.

10:02 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
I think it is lovely, not compex and unique, mind you, but so very enjoyable. And one does need enjoyable pretty easy to wear perfumes ever so often :-)

10:10 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize I'm posting this late, but I wasn't sure if you had gotten the information yet on how to purchase Black Orchid on its own. It's now available from Saks NYC in a 1 oz bottle for about $50. Call Elson (I found his number on the frag board) and he will get it to you. I wore this today, in fact, and it's really lovely and has had great lasting power. I think all of the scents that were in the "made to measure" series are now available in 1 oz bottles, and I'm so thankful it's obtainable for less than $120 now. Elson also includes a free 1/8 oz roll-on in the scent of your choice. Hth! :-)

10:51 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

C,
Thank you very much for the info, now I know where to call as soon as my little bottle runs out!!

1:37 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home