Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Perfume Review: Damien Bash Parfum Lucifer No. 1


In my misguided youth I used to be a big fan of the horror genre, including David Seltzer’s The Omen and even a couple of follow-up books and the first couple of movies based on them (after that the books and the films most definitely jumped the shark…but I digress). Ten years later, the fragrance line with scents bearing the name of Lucifer, created by a person named Damien (Damien Bash, a New York painter and photographer) still manages to intrigue me. Old geeky ways die hard.

The top notes of Lucifer No. 1 are strong and heady; it is an appropriately dark, nocturnal floral blend with neroli and rose being most prominent to my nose. The intensity of the notes subsides somewhat when vanilla joins the composition, but almost immediately, with the advent of carnation, the scent becomes stronger and spicier. The best part of the fragrance to me is the ambery drydown. By then, the headiness wears off a little (only a little, mind you, this is still a strong perfume) and Lucifer No. 1 becomes warm and strangely comforting, its spicy darkness enveloping the skin like black velvet. This is not a strikingly unusual and original composition, in fact, Lucifer No. 1 reminds me of a much heavier Or des Indes by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier or –more so- of a less “dirty” and less floral Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez. Taking into account the fact that the latter sometimes can be found for almost ten times less than Lucifer No.1, there is really no way I can justify a full bottle purchase of Bash’s creation. If however by some black magic a bottle of Lucifer No. 1 found its way to my perfume cabinet, I would have worn this scent with much enjoyment, especially in cold weather, when I crave such rich, warm, darkly comforting scents.

Parfum Lucifer No. 1 is available at Aedes, $95.00 for 3.4oz.

*The photo is from DamienBash.com.

14 Comments:

Blogger marchlion said...

I'll stick with Bal, thanks -- I love how its dirtiness sneaks up on you. I think it's one of the great perfumes of all time. I think I owe that addiction to you!

11:53 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I will stick with my beloved Bal too. I think, weird as it may sound, I would actually feel uncomfortable having a bottle bearing a name like that one in my house. I would feel like it's bad luck or something. Am I nuts? My husband always tells me I am very superstitious. LOL

12:13 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Geek Salute!
Patty, the book sounds awesome, I am going to check the library. :-)

12:40 PM EST  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I checked out Bash when we went to Aedes last April. I came to the same conclusion :-)

I agree about Bal a Versailles. Love it

12:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I am sort of curious about the other Bash scents, but probably not curious enough to order sampels from Aedes.
Fans of Bal unite!

1:03 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
Really? Do they try to get rid of it? Tell me more! They should have a sale then or some insentive to go with the purchase. I have never heard of such a thing with Aedes though. Even Luckyscent had a candle and Coquette Tropique promotion recently...

4:30 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Cristina,
So I guess they think that having sales and codes is not chic, huh? Oh well...but if they had a sale on D. Bash, I would have ordered this one. :-)

4:49 PM EST  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

I have always been scared of the Damien Bash series. The name Lucifer just reminds me of the devil. ACK!

6:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

These is a strange line and strange scent names, aren't they. And yet the scent itself is perfectly inoffensive. :-)

6:56 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

The lack of something more gothic was definitely a bit fo a disappointment.
That is a very interesting info on No. 5! I had no idea it was distributed by Chanel. Verrry interesting.

9:07 AM EST  
Blogger Initiated Medusa said...

Hello, was just checking for Neil Gaiman perfume and came across this. There is a company that are marketing Sandman named perfumes and also there is talk of doing one for the Pratchett books. Trouble is cant remember the name of the company - found it once and then lost my bookmarks. Can any one help?

Many thanks
:D

6:39 AM EDT  
Blogger perfum addict said...

I love DAMIEN BASH-LUCIFER fragrances. I think they are stylish, rich and timeless which is more than I can say about lot of new fragrances. Although, my friend just brought me the new fragrance from DAMIEN BASH which is called VENOM and it is only available in Europe. But it is coming to the States according to one of the stores who carry his line here. And let me tell you, the scent is one of the BEST I have ever smelled.
Oh my God!
It is addictive, ultra sexy and so, so beautiful.
No wonder there is a waiting list for it in Europe.
If you can get your hands on it, get it!

5:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SIN is the best fragrance I have every used and I am finding it very difficult to locate to purchase... someone help please!

12:23 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking to get more of SIN from DAMIEN BASH/Lucifer line. Try ordering it through Sloan-Hall in Houston.
That's where I get all my Lucifer scents.

1:32 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home