Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Perfume Review: Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste

Cuir Améthyste is the newest addition to the Armani Privé collection of fragrances, which also includes Ambre Soie, Bois d’Encens, Eau de Jade and Pierre de Lune. It is a warm, velvety blend that smells somewhat like a cross between Bois de Violette and Daim Blond, only more understated, less distinct, and less interesting than either.

After the initial sumptuous and spicy accord of coriander and citrus subsides, the fragrance does not undergo much development on my skin. The predominant note is violet, accompanied by soft, sweet woods and amber, with a discreet (much too discreet for my taste) hint of suede. I realize that this is going to be one of my shortest reviews yet, but I find myself unable to find much more to comment on. If the leather note here were more prominent and the “silver birch” note more distinct, if there were less vanilla, this fragrance might have had more character, more life in it. As it is, Cuir Améthyste is a fairly sweet, rather powdery scent, which stays close to the skin, is smooth, well blended and tasteful. It also lacks any sort of “oomph”, does not have much depth, and, although pleasant and elegant, is rather boring.

If someone was kind enough to give it to me as I gift, I would have undoubtedly worn it with pleasure. I will not however be buying Cuir Améthyste myself. According to Bois de Jasmin, Cuir Améthyste will be released in the US in April-May. I assume it would cost $185.00 for 50ml like the rest of Armani Privé scents.

*The image is from Osmoz.com.

12 Comments:

Blogger marchlion said...

Unsubstantiated Gossip: the friendly Armani SA at Saks today told me that Amethyste had been taken back to the drawing board for reworking and would not be released here until fall. He told me it "was just awful, everyone knows it." I pressed him a little and he stood by his version. Will be interesting to see if it's retooled and/or delayed until fall.

10:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I absolutely agree...not just Le Labo...for that money we could basically get a Bell Jar on eBay.

I will do some Le Labo reviews next week! Which one would you like to be first? :-)

10:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Ooh, how perfectly titillating ... Is that really true, they really took it back to rework?..Wow. It wasn't awful at all, just kind of nothing special. There are much, much worse things out there.

10:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I also hope they do something to add some oomph to Cuir A.
Ok, will do Iris some time next week!
I have a very exciting post coming up soon. My very own DH is going to review Feminite du Bois. That is a momentous event. :-)

10:32 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I am sure it will be entertaining. Feelings might be hurt, but it will be fun. My feelings I mean, you know how much I love Feminite du Bois :-)

11:05 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Hummmmph--no ooomph! And not much leather either! Seems to be a general consensus. And I have got belljars on Ebay for considerably less:) My pocketbook thanks you.

11:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
This is another "Cuir fraud" LOL No leather here, just a hint somewhere in the middle, and even then it smells to me more like suede ...which is not a bad thing at all, I just wish the note was more distinct.

12:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I like the stone on the bottle too, and I do hope that they re-do it a little. It doesn't need much more work, just bring it up a couple of notches in intensity or something.

12:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Victoria said...

Ahhh my birthstone. I'm so hoping to like this one at least. Maybe with the amber, it might be the saving grace for me.

5:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Victoria,
Maybe you will like it. I hope you do. It's wasn't bad at all, just not exciting enough, you know?

8:29 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Ah, will be so interested to see if March turns out to be right. It really could use a bit more of something or another...but I thought it was already on the market overseas, so somehow it seems unlikely that they'll rework it.

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
That's what I thought too...but we'll see. It could certainly benefit from a little re-formulation.

12:43 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home