Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Perfume Review: Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum

I realized that it has been a while since I talked about my comfort scents. And yet they deserve recognition and praise. They are there for me when I am cold, tired, lonely, grumpy and bothered. They don’t make life better, but they do make it more bearable. One of my relatively recently discovered comfort scents is Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi. There is something about its spicy, creamy blend that never fails to soothe and calm me.

This is a strange scent, warm and chilly at the same time. The pepper, with its dry, warm piquancy, is quite apparent, but the mint note is just as strong, stronger even at times (especially in the beginning), it acts as a “cooling agent” of sorts here, and I find this contrast of hot and cold to be extremely appealing. The minty accord also has a certain discreet sweetness that softens the composition, adding to it an unexpectedly creamy quality. When the mint subsides, the green-herbal spiciness of marjoram becomes evident, as well as the balsamic woodiness of styrax and the velvety warmth of myrrh. The constant interplay of the cold and the spicy-hot, of the dry and the creamy is bewitching, almost hypnotic. Like with some of my other comfort scents, Angelique Encens and Passage d’Enfer, the comfort that I find in Piper Nigrum is akin to detachment, disconnection from whatever it is that pains and troubles me. When I wear Piper Nigrum I feel, like Tsvetaeva’s Tsar-Devitsa, that


Nowhere will you find me,
I’m lost in no place.
And nothing can catch me.
And nothing returns me.


Piper Nigrum is available at Aedes, $90.00 for 3.4oz.

*The image is from Aedes.com.

25 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

oh dear. Apparently there is a shop on Melrose Place (yes, it really exists) that I've been trying not to stop off at that carries the Villoresi line: trying not to because I've smelled Uomo (Bergamot, Vetiver, musk= yummy!) and Incensi (Galbanum and Incense) but now you've gotten me with the desciption of Piper Nigrum. The "constant interplay of the cold and the spicy-hot"? I am a moth to the flame. Or the floe, as it were.

Also there is the best bakery in Los Angeles right down the block: Sweet Lady Jane. I'll be fat and perfumed. I shall publicly blame, but privately thank you. :-)

11:50 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

This was from the blind test, right?! I am still surprised how much P hated this. I mean, it seems like it would be the right fit. I thought it was gorgeous -- everything you describe. A comfort scent like Tea for Two (
muhWahahahahahaha as you say) -- March the Maleficent

8:04 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

PS I still hope you do a post on Genius and Evil Genius, I would love to see your list. I know where Tea for Two fits in... ;-)

8:05 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I do love this, of course! And it layers well with practically everything! I have the shower gel as well, which is wonderfully invigorating. Thanks for the great review!

8:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
You made me laugh out loud ...in the morning! That has never happend before. I don't do mornings :-) Blame me if you must, but Piper Nigrum must be tried. And have an extra something from that bakery for me.

PS. I am adding Uomo to the to try list. And I'll blame you if I like it.

8:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
This nagging little voice in head tells me that I should give Tea for Two another try. It was extremely vile on me when I tried it, but it was a vile ago. Since then I grew to like vile things, even to wear them. :-)

PS. I will post about the Geniuses tomorrow. You can already guess one that would be on the Bad list :-)

8:21 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
*wails* They have a shower gel in Piper Nigrum? Aieee!

I had no doubt really that you liked this one. Do you like Spezie? I do, but not as much as Piper.

8:22 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I do like Spezie, though I haven't had very much of it. I am finally getting some in a swap (yay)! I discovered the shower gel at the sniffa. I was trying desperately to keep myself from buying a bottle of PN ("you can't have it until you've finished your decants!"), so I compromised on the shower gel, which is not so expensive (just sayin'--of course, it doesn't really create the FULL PN experience:)

8:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Want the gel, want the gel! :-) I can only iamgien who great it must feel after the long, tiresome day.

10:21 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
Nya Nya Nya.
Who was praising POTL yesterday? Revenge!

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Oh... Oops. Well, you and March share the blog, so you are responsible for the POTL-promotion too :-P
(just joking)

12:20 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one was disappointing after the first few minutes, however I do not tend to like LV fragrances anyway. Still, they are intriguing, and the perfumer seems like such an interesting person.

12:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That anon is me, Victoria (BdJ). I am using a new computer, and I completely forgot all of my passwords. :)

12:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
Do you have a favorite LV scent? I think this is mine.

12:49 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, my swap came, so now--inspired by you--I am wearing Piper Nigrum + Spezie. Yum!
(I agree with V. that the beginning is the best part, but I like the rest too--and putting on the Spezie seemed to prolong the opening rush)

1:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ooh, now that is combination to explore...Will test tonight!

2:07 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like LV, I have to try this one, although, i did give the LV Incensi perfume away and i only used it once.
For some reason it made me feel blue just the same color as the bottle.
anna

2:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anna,
I was not overly impressed with Incense. Not that it was bad, but I got much more amber than incense from it.

3:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

This idea of hot and cold at once reminds me of the same effect in szechuan food. There's a word for that, but I can't remember it right now. I still haven't tried this one. Sounds good.

10:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear Cait,
The word is - "delicious" :-)

10:44 PM EDT  
Blogger IrisLA said...

The one time I tested Piper Nigrum, I didn't like it. I will dig out my sample and sniff again to find this intriguing "constant interplay of the cold and the spicy-hot."

2:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Hopefully it works better this time! :-)

3:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

K,
So nice to see you here!
I haven't tried wearing PN in summer, but I have a feeling you are completely right and it would be too much in humid PA heat.
I am so lemming the shower gel...

PS. *Loved* Villoresi's Vetiver. Thank you very much for introducing me to it!

2:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first review of this gem that actually begins to approach what I experience when I wear it. It is one of my "comfort" scents as well. Thank you for posting this!

8:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Roby,
Thank you very much! I actually think this is the most comfortnig of my comfort scent.

10:03 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home