Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Articles about Nobi Shioya and Christophe Laudamiel

The Boston Globe and Perfumer & Flavorist published interesting articles about the perfumer Christophe Laudamiel (Thierry Mugler Perfume Le Coffret, S-Perfume S-ex) and Nobi Shioya, "a surfer turned sculptor turned fragrance house founder [who] pushes the bounds of niche scents".

"There's too much confusion, too much secrecy (...) I think perfumery should be raised to the same level as music, and painting, and architecture. With a symphony orchestra, you can see all the music, you can see all the instruments, and in the end it's still magical. When you're educated, you can determine the true value of things, and you can make better choices. It's time for that same level of education to occur with scent." (Cristophe Laudamiel. From Making Perfect Scents. The Boston Globe, February 22, 2007)

“The way I approach each project is not that different from the way I sculpt (...) Creating art always has the aspect of reconstructing something that exists. For instance, if I’m going to sculpt a figure, I will take the model apart in my head and in preparatory drawings and then, once that process is done, I will reconstruct that figure the way I want to see it.” (Noby Shioya. From The Next Wave, Part 1. Perfumer & Flavorist, February 21, 2007)

11 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

Ach, that was such a good interview! This is the first issue I have gotten from my subscription, and I am now doubly glad I did so. It was such a delight to find in the ol' mailbox. I also really liked one of his responses about the difference between beauty and "pleasant." It's certainly food for thought coming from a perfumer.

10:01 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
I enjoyed reading it too. Facsinating stuff.

I love your avatar picture! What lipstick is that? :-)

10:03 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

OH man, it's a heartbreaking tale of the only red lipstick I truly loved. It's a discontinued Versace, sigh. It's my last back-up tube of it, unfortunately. I'd have to go look up the number (that was their real mistake, their packaging and the product was excellent, but everything had a number instead of a name) but I"m too lazy to do so at the moment. I LOVED the Versace Beaute line. (Best loose powder, concealer, and red lippies ever. And my holy grail pink blush, too!) But it's gone, gone, gone. *cries*

10:08 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Shoot, now I just read Nobi's article. The Jet-Scent one, his explanation of wet suit and wax makes sense, but I could SWEAR! SWEAR! that there's a little bit of a woodworking shop in there, too. (Says the gal who's spent innumerable hours leaning over a mitre box and accidentally inhaling noses full of sawdust!)

10:19 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely enjoyed the article on Laudamiel! I'm very much in love with him, I think. I love the way he thinks and what he does, besides Le Parfum Coffret. Plus, if I was still in my dark, aquatic past, as you like to say, I'd be wearing Michael Kors Island. ;D It is, actually, a very pretty scent.

11:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
Seriously, who do they always discontinue the best stuff?! I am sure you have, but have you tried ebay?

10:02 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Francis would be quite upset if he reads your comment :-P

10:02 AM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Such interesting points, colombina. Speaks to the nature of artistry in and of itself. They can criticize all they want, but when it comes down to it, art is personal expression and therefore unique to each artist. I personally prefer scents make by those dedicated to the art of scent. :-)

2:39 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
I absolutely agree!

2:43 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

When it comes to perfume and perfumERS, I'm rather polygamous. ;D

7:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
La donna è mobile!
:-)

7:57 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home