Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Perfume Review: Juozas by Juozas Statkevicius

Review by Tom

Colombina pretty much said it all- it's a wonderful incense scent with notes of "notes of jasmine, patchouli, coriander, incense, amber, cashmere wood, vanilla, benzoin and musk". It is incense- but am I insane getting a camphor note in the beginning?

Some niche houses seem to thrive on scents that challenge your expectations; I happen to love arguably the biggest "offender", Serge Lutens, but I can understand where some people may look upon the scents with the eye-rolling annoyance reserved for Top Chef's Marcel and his endless foams. I can see that sometimes you just want to smell pretty. I don't at all want to sound like I damning this one with faint praise: it is as much as an olfactory joy-ride as any Lutens out there.

It does not need to shock however: all of its stages, from its camphored incensed opening, it'd dusky fruity middle to its heavenly (literally, still with the incense) musky drydown are brilliantly dense, gorgeously feminine (but not so much so that I would not wear it in a heartbeat- it's feminine in the way that the photo for the perfume is: the Helmut Newtonesque blonde in a top hat and jacket. Did the perfume rub off on you from her, or vice-versa?) and incredibly, stunningly gorgeous. Yes, I am being effusive. Not only because I am slightly crazy about this, but in the fond hope that one more review will tell Mr. Statkevicius that he needs to get this here right this minute.

The perfume is only available at his atelier. This must change.

PS- this was originally going to be a short review, since the lovely person who passed on the sample sent a group of others as well that I thought I'd review at the same time. Since I've rambled on this long (and kind of want to smell this one more), I'll save the others for the next time.

Edited to add: Our collective wails have been heard. Juozas is now sold at BeautyHabit, $165.00 for 50ml. The rumour has it that Luckyscent will be getting it too, very soon. Tom says that Mr. Statkevicius agreed to make his scent available in the US simply to avoid the hassle of filing a restraining order against him. At least for the perfume. At least for now...

30 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I found out the name of the Helmut Newtonesque blonde, it is Svetlana Griaznova. Never heard of her before but she is stunning. I had to have the scent the moment I saw the ad :-)

10:27 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

yeah, well the restraining order comment was brought on by the picture of the (literally) smoking hottie at the site, which I think is Mr. Statkevicius. Congrats, babe, you've replaced Vin Diesel.

But you have an easy out, smoking is a no go.

11:53 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that price is jaw droppingly outrageous, but currency exchange rates etc, or something, I guess...

Anyway, I'm just being an old grouch about everything this week. It was just a nice incense to me.

I know, I know - I SHOULD shut up already...

4:06 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Svetlana! Now, is that a goddess-y name or what?

Um, okay, yeah, that price. Some of us (gazes off in the distance) know what they sell this for in the EU, and it's not $165. Although you could argue that the prices are all artificial anyway, based on where they want to fit in the niche pyramid.

Tom -- I ultimately did *not* fall in love, although it was very strong like. There's a sweet note in there I'm not wild for. Patty gets something in the opening, though, that I think is like what you mentioned. BTW this is MARCH posting "anonymously" because I just realized I'm not properly logged in...

7:46 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I apologizing for butting in into Tom's comments, but I have to say this in defense of Beautyhabit or anyone else who will be selling Juozas. I know for a fact that the price we bought it for You Know Where was inexplicably low, just 10 euro above the wholesale price. What that little salon was thinking, I don't know. Probably no one was buying and they just had to get rid of it? The recommended retail price for this one is 120 euro, so I guess it more or less translates into $165. There is a store in Munich that actually sells it for 120 euro. P, M, J, L, we got very lucky.

8:40 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Must go check out that shot of Mr. Statkevicius. I hope you get him for your birthday this year. *Love* the ad for the scent. And the scent is truly delicious and very wearable (Ambre Soie layered w/ Bois d'Encens on me). Frankly, more approachable than I'd have thought, given the style of the ad.

8:43 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really, really want this one. I don't need anymore effusive reviews to convince me. I think I'll look on ebay though to see if there are decants available. $165 for 50 ml is a little steep for me. Thanks for reminding me how much I want this, Tom. :-)

9:49 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Patty-

$165 is a little steep, but I find it to be pretty concentrated. The small sample I had lasted and lasted.

12:15 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lee-

I don't think it's that outrageous, really. And I know the exchange rates have gone hinky, perfume prices have taken a jump.

12:16 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

Svetlana is a very goddessy name!

12:17 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Columbina-

Wow- you guys lucked out big-time!

12:18 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Elle-

http://www.statkevicius.com/

he's got that rock star thing going (assuming of course that's him)

12:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

newproducts-

I hope this hits decant-land too. I don't know that I need a whole bottle.

I really wish more manufacturers would do minis....

12:23 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EWWW... you must be kidding - vin diesel?... i would have suspected an early farley granger - not some doltish grunt... how disheartening... your reviews will never read the same for me

1:18 PM EST  
Blogger Qwendy said...

Marina, your wonderful blog on Couture and Perfume inspired me to try to write something on my own, will you and Tom critique my efforts (privately)? www.qwendy.typepad.com
I blog like twice a year, but your wonderful efforts are making me want to do more, thanks!

1:59 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina -- thanks for the pricing info. I *thought* the price we got was an unusually good deal...

I think iPdF still holds the MArkup Champion Title, what do you think?

2:05 PM EST  
Blogger Solander said...

Yay, I'm glad to hear it will be more widely available, it really is a great scent!
Juozas is kinda cute. The model too - kinda cute, no Marlene by far.
You know, to me Svetlana sounds more like a huge, butch Russian athlete with comical blond braids than a goddess...

2:05 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

robespierre-

If I could find an early Farley Granger (or even a later one) I would cling like a limpet to him. He was my first movie-hunk crush, and the sight of him circa "Strangers on a Train" still sends me.

I like Vin's voice. Plus I am told that he is an extremely warm and funny man.

2:20 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Solander-

He is cute, in that artsy kind of way.

Svetlana is a name that can go either way- Famke Jannsen with a cigarette holder or Frau Blucher

2:23 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

qwendy-

write more! really!

2:30 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Wendy,
I must agree with Tom, please write more!

3:04 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
iPdF and their distributors take the Most Greedy prize beating everyone else to that title.

3:05 PM EST  
Blogger Qwendy said...

OK, I will! I wonder what kind of Pandora's Box we've opened here, I was up at 1am writing, and I loved it. Funny how one's hobbies are so refreshing as a break from one's normal work (and mine seems like a hobby to most!). I'm such a dilettante!

3:13 PM EST  
Blogger Qwendy said...

OMIGOD, I forgot to say Congratulations, I thought all you needed was MY appreciation, but the whole perfume world loves you too, they have pretty good taste!

4:20 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Wendy-

Thanks! I'm absurdly happy about it, considering my meagre contribution to it. (I can't think the phrase "killer bees on crack" put us over the top. Er, in that way)

4:44 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
If you google "killer bees on crack", like that, in quotation marks, guess what is the first thing to come up? That's right, your post :-)

4:49 PM EST  
Blogger Gaia said...

I will absolutely have to get my paws on a sample. I might be totally crazy, but all the Lutens I've ever tried made me feel beautiful.

10:56 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

APLODISMENTAI ,
P.JUOZUI STATKEVICIUJ, MAN BE GALO MALONU KAD JIS MANO TAUTIETIS. DIDZIUOJUOSI JUO , KUO DIDZIAUSIOS SEKMES
kRISTINA
KAUNAS
27

3:17 PM EST  
Anonymous women pheromones said...

Well,interesting perfume even its expensive but its sounds effective. :)

cletsey

9:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous beauty products said...

I love all ur Products....Sure iam going to try this out....

8:04 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home