Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Hermes Kelly Caleche

I haven't been so excited by the news of a new release for a while. According to CosmeticNews.com, Hermès is about to launch a major women’s fragrance, Kelly Calèche, which "draws inspiration directly from the heart of the Hermès house". The name pays homage to the Hermès Kelly bag and the Calèche fragrance, one of the first fragrances released by the house. Created by Jean-Claude Ellena, the scent is said to be inspired by the smell of fine leather and is described as floral leather blend. Hermès Parfums general manager Catherine Fulconis informs that the fragrance is meant to fit "between the younger following of Eau des Merveilles and the more classic positioning of 24, Faubourg".

For an interesting article about Kelly bag, please read Hermes V. Hermes by Annie Groer, Washington Post. The article compares the Kelly and the Birkin bags, and describes the Kelly bag as "a touch more formal, a little more appropriate for an evening out, a business dinner, as a more refined look." "A woman who is going to wear the Kelly is of very erect stature, she comes from money, very good background, is extraordinarily educated, and life to her is one where she will be very inconspicuous". Kelly bag, created in 1930, received its name after Grace Kelly "deftly obscured her royal pregnancy with a structured, crocodile Hermes purse on a 1956 Life magazine cover. (...) after its moment in Life, it [the bag] was dedicated to Her Serene Highness, and, as legends often do, lives on after her". (By the way, hard as I try to find the bag on the cover of the said April 9, 1956 issue of Life magazine (picture on the left), I am unable to see it. Perhaps it is actually featured in the article itself.)

Kelly Calèche will have an exclusive preview at the new Hermès boutique opening on Wall Street on June 21st. In August it will be available in Hermès’ boutique network and in September will be launched for global selective distribution. I can hardly wait!

The line will consist of EdTs in 50ml and 100ml sizes, priced at €64 and €90, a body lotion (€47), a bath and shower gel (€39) and a deodorant (€38).

Image sources, comseticnews.com, kerrytaylorauctions.com.

19 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

I have to admit that this sounds very interesting. I am wondering how close this would be to Eau d'Hermes (the scent of the inside of a leather purse)? Maybe just with an added dash of white flowers? Ooh, I am going to have to experiment and see how close I am to this new Hermes.

11:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley,
I can't wait to find out how it will turn out. I mean...Hermes! Ellena! Caleche! Grace Kelley! Could it BE more exciting for me? :-D

11:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I searched high and low for the picture of Grace Kelly and browsed through a stack of old Life magazines, and I have not been able to find it. She was featured with this bag in various Life photos, but never being pregnant. I cannot even imagine how one can use Kelly to obstruct one's pregnant belly. It is quite small.

I love the shape of Kelly bags. Birkin is just too big and unwieldy, especially since it cannot be carried on the shoulder. Plus, the fact that every single starlet has a cartload of Birkins makes me dislike them even more. I guess that Kelly is too formal for them, but that is the reason why I like it.

Vika

7:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
Maybe it's all just a legend, but I still like the fact that the bag is associated with Grace Kelly whom I adore :-) Between Kelly and Birkin bags, I would choose Kelly too. ...and I hope to have a choice like that one day :-D

7:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Madelyn E said...

Hi,
I feel the same excitement as you - Marina et al .
Grace Kelly. Hermes, beautiful Caleche parfum, genius parfumeur J-C Ellena..
who could ask for anything more??
Floral, leather. wow.
I adore all these ingredients - so the finished product should be ....
extraodinaire .

1:20 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm all atwitter myself, though I'm no rabid Ellena fan (I don't own anything of his except a few decants). A leather floral sounds just delicious although the pink juice and "younger crowd" positioning scare me a bit. But,no, Ellena couldn't do that if he tried, could he? I mean a "girly" juice? BTW, as I've remarked on other blogs, that names sounds like a Crazy Horse Saloon dancer moniker, in the lines of Lili Niagara, Bertha von Paraboum or Mélodie Bubbles... it almost kills the Grace Kelly aura for me. But a leather floral... *drools*

8:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Madelyn,
I only hope that it will live up to our expectations! Fingers crossed.

9:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Oh, I wish I didn't read that line about Saloon dancer, because...yep, you are totally right, arrgh :-) The pink color and the word younger scare me too. I have a nagging suspicion that the scent might turn out to have the ubiquitous Pink Pepper note ...or peony, or, god helps us, freesia.

9:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

This is great news indeed, I am really looking forward to it. I wouldn't necessarily wear all Hermès perfumes but I do *admire* all of them very much. I have no bad words for any of the house's creations. I reserve most of my love for Rouge and Un Jardin en Méditeranée though :) Glad you have another leather perfume to look forward to.

9:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aargh, pink pepper, enough with pink pepper already! Vade retro Satanas!

9:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
I am trying to think of one Hermes that I actively disliked..there are some I don't love, but I like most of them. Great house.

9:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
EXACTLY!

9:51 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Oh, and Hermes does leather so well! I want it!

3:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Me too! :-)

4:32 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Oh, baby.
Maybe, it will be like Bel Ami...
In which case, I'll die happy.

Qui vivra verra !

{BTW- Nicely put, Denyse ! !D'accord]

7:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
I can't wait to find out what it's going to be like!

8:52 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

I have only fairly recently discovered for myself the beauty of Hermes fragrances. My last FB purchase was Eau d'Hermes and whilst I ADORE it the cumin note is quite disturbing.... I have high hopes of Kelly Caleche but they are tempered by the name (love Caleche, like Kelly - but together?, the pink colour and the positioning. Still that means it will be easy to surpass my expectations , no? And seeing as the price isn't outrageous I know where I'll be come August!

9:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
I am hopeful about Kelly Caleche whilst at the same time feeling a little bit anxious, exactly because of the reasons you listed...but we will see...

9:33 AM EDT  
Blogger JH said...

Colombina,

You must review Hermes Eau des Merveilles. By the far the best. Been using it for over 2 yrs now.

2:56 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home