Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Perfume Review: Montale Aoud Blossom


Soon as I beheld thee, mazed and wildered grew my sad heart; How shall I my love disclose to thee who tyrant dread art? How shall I hold straight upon my road, when yonder Torment Smitten hath my breast with deadly wounds by her eyelash dart? Face, a rose; and mouth, a rosebud; form, a slender sapling--- How shall I not be the slave of Princess such as thou art? Ne'er hath heart a beauty seen like her of graceful figure; Joyous would I for yon charmer's eyebrow with my life part. Farisi, what can I do but love that peerless beauty? Ah! this aged Sphere hath made me lover of yon sweetheart.

Sultan Osman II,1617-1623 (source)


What can I say, Montale scents put me in the mood to cite poetry, the more abundantly romantic and exotic the better. I didn't really think I could possibly do another Montale review, because there is only so much one can say about rose-aoud blends, stunning though they might be. But Aoud Blossom is more than just roses and aoud, and so here I am again, waxing poetic with the help of an Ottoman ruler.

The notes that make Aoud Blossom special and put it somewhat apart in the seemingly endless (not that I am complaining) row of rose aouds, are jasmine and tuberose. Especially tuberose. Rose + Aoud = Love, we all know that. It came to me as a surprise that the creamy, tropical scent of tuberose would be just as alluring, paired with the spicy darkness of aoud. Rose and Aoud seem like natural companions, a dark and handsome young sultan and his beautiful dark-heaired wife that comes from the same land...The tuberose is a blond European import, sold to the harem by the pirates... to Sultan Aoud she is exotic, alluring and irresistible... I am very tempted to go on with my Anne and Serge Golon inspired love-story, but I won't. Try Aoud Blossom and find out for yourself how the sultry novel ends.

Aoud Blossom is available wherever Montale is sold, $150.00 for 50ml.

The still from Angélique et le Sultan is from allocine.fr

38 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Must. Try. Immediately. How is it that I've missed this? Sounds like a fascinating, delicious scent.

9:56 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
You haven't tried?! I'd be happy to send you some!

10:04 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking. Tuberose & aoud!!??!! I've very, very intriged. Great review.

10:06 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typos in the above comment, happy trigger finger! (Not a good first impression)

10:08 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lindsey,
Thank you and welcome!

10:09 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Hmmmm. . .I thought you didn't like this one. . .

10:23 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Dark sultan, dark wife, blond european import....what am I reading here? The sultan's dreams just came true! :D

10:25 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I thought so too. I was wrong :-)

10:29 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Faizan,
What you are reading here is very bad bodice-ripper kind of prose :-)

10:30 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

oh my! (fans self)

10:35 PM EST  
Blogger kamala said...

this is the second time i've seen an "angelique" picture in one of your reviews, so i googled it, and learned it's a historical adventure book series. seems interesting! is it more popular in france, or am i just a dumb4ss for not having heard of it? :-)

so far, of the montales, i've only tried aoud roses petals - sounds like i'd like this one, too.

btw marina, off topic, i just tried le parfum de therese last night, which if i'm remembering correctly is a favorite of yours. now i know why! it was stunning! i found it very elegant and vibrant.

10:35 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no - another Montale to love! Why are they doing this to me! I am already in love with Aoud Queen rose and Roses Petals. Now THIS!?

11:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious image. Doesn't the sultan look a bit overwhelmed (and bookish) for the sultry beauty who is languidly linked to his torso?

I won't hold my breath over this one. It's where we often depart in taste. I've kinda given up on Montale.

3:49 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me this is Chloe (the original good one) meets Aoud.
Btw, I was hooked on Angelica films as a child !

6:14 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

*fans Tom and offers him rahat loukoum on a golden plate*

6:47 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Kamala,
I am so glad you liked PdeT!! I adore it.
Yes, I think Anne and Serge Golon Angelique book series and the movies are more popular in Europe. They are definitely very popular in Russia :-)

6:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
They want us to go bankrupt, that's why :-)

6:50 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
I am not even sure it is the sultan form the movie (been a while...). :-) I just love her hair, OMG!

6:51 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Silvia,
wow, that's true! :-)

6:55 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see a review of this! I adore it, and although I own several Montales, I'm going to need a new bottle of this one first. Which is not at all what I expected, as a fellow White Aoud devotee, but apparently I reach for this one all the time!

9:47 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Montales (Cuir d'Arabaie, Black Aoud, Boise Vanille are my favorites), but I remember not liking this one. So I dug out my sample today to try it again, and...

No, afraid not. This one is strange on my skin, like a mixture of spearmint gum and peaches.

I'm sure it smells divine on you, though, Marina. Can I borrow your wrist?

11:23 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alright, I confess -

I've only tried 3 montales in my life and none of them were the aoud collection.

whats my penance? 47 hail Marys and a shot of Jack Daniels?

11:53 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

*fans Tom and offers him rahat loukoum on a golden plate*

What a funny coincidence- that is exactly what I wore today!

11:58 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason the rose-ouds by name of Montale just never seem to quite work for me, though I keep trying!

12:06 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

My usual question: will I like it?

1:38 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, I like it when you wax poetic, I like it a lot. The woman, the poem, the notes sound (and look) just stunning. I can feel a twitch in my fingers coming on (to get that cc). The two Montale's I've tried so far were love: Queen Roses and Roses Petals, like made for me.
Sabina

3:49 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He does have a sort of preoccupied look on his face, doesn't he? Like he's trying to recall where he left his keys. Are these films worth watching? I am trying to see if Netflix carries them. To my shame, I have not yet tried any of the Montales (hangs head).
Marina, I am sending you something that you will get a kick out of, if you like her hair. No, it's not a wig.

-Existentialist

5:57 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Mel,
So glad to hear for a fellow White Aoud devotee! :-)

9:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Suzanne,
spearmint gum and peaches...somehow it sounds appealing :-)

9:01 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

MarkDavid,
You should go to Aedes and remedy that straightaway! :-)

9:27 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
It's like I knew! :-)

9:27 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
are there other rose aouds that do work?

9:28 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
And my usual answer: I am not sure! :-)

9:29 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sabina,
Clearly, we are Montale scent sisters. Do you like White Aoud?

9:29 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Existentialist,
I am soooo intrigued :-)

9:30 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I had absolutely no idea they actually made Angelique movies! I adore tuberose, so now I have to try this ;-)

5:41 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sylviso I guess you know the books? I wonder if they have the movies on netflix

7:34 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home