Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, April 28, 2008

White Floral Queen Part Five: Sali Oguri Pink Manhattan Purrfume Oil... And a Prize Draw

By Donna

I had wanted to include this fragrance in my White Floral Queen series from the start, but I was trying to stop torturing myself (and others) and refrain from reviewing discontinued perfumes. Recently as I was browsing the fragrance blogosphere, I saw an announcement; Pink Manhattan Purrfume has returned! The perfumer has recently brought it back for a limited run of maybe a year or so. Now I can finally write about it without having to deliver the bad news that it’s another unobtainable one.

This perfume is actually an oil, so you know it’s going to be strong, and also that it will not change as much over time after being applied as alcohol-based scents will. When I wore Sali’s other scent, Persephone New York, I realized just how potent this formulation could be. If you over-apply, you have to be ready to take the consequences. As much as I like both of them it’s not a problem for me, but I would not wear either one to a business meeting. They need to be deployed strategically for maximum but carefully targeted impact.

Pink Manhattan Purrfume was Sali Oguri’s first fragrance, and it was quite a cult hit at the time; it was voted one of the top 10 fruity scents of 2005 on Luckyscent. It is exceptionally feminine and very sweet, being a delicious blend of gardenia, peach, hibiscus, French vanilla and musk. Now, this scent is really redolent of gardenia, and does not resemble the tuberose that comprises the character of many “gardenia” perfumes. It’s rich, buttery, and clinging. The peach is like a really good peach sorbet, creamy and refreshing at the same time. An unusual hibiscus note gives the fragrance a light and slightly tangy quality that plays “purrfectly” with the sweeter notes. The vanilla in this scent is bright and happy, not dark at all, and is a good match for the radiant cheerfulness of the floral and fruit accords. Musk in the base is mild and fresh and not in the least obtrusive or heavy. Everything else is subservient to the gardenia and the peach here, though; they are the stars of this show. If you think you don’t like gardenia you probably won’t want to try this, but even though it’s really quite strong, pairing it with the peach and hibiscus makes it smell like a picnic on a perfect summer day, and it’s not like any other gardenia scent I know of. Yes, it has some of that buttered popcorn quality that gardenias can develop as the flowers age, but I happen to love that part. The fresh notes keep it from going over the edge in that regard. (I did not detect any of the “bleu cheese” aroma that some heavier gardenia scents can have.)

So what does happen to this perfume oil when applied to the skin? The gardenia blooms its head off and the peach becomes an entire orchard. The way it smells bring to my mind the clichéd compliment of “You look good enough to eat.” This is not a diva scent; it’s too dewy and translucent for that. It’s more like the girl next door, but in the idealized version from the movies; her hair is freshly washed, her skin is impossibly smooth and glowing, and all the boys want to ask her out but they are too shy; surely such a perfect girl must already have a date for the big dance? All the poor fellows can do is turn red and stammer and blurt out something simple like “You smell pretty!” That’s what the Purrfume is all about - smelling pretty. No hidden agenda here, folks, nothing complicated or difficult to understand. Just straightforward I-love-being-a-girl stuff.

At first I thought, what am I doing wearing this, it’s much too “young” for me. Then I realized that if I feel young on the inside, to heck with what I am “supposed” to wear at my age. One of the perks of getting older is the freedom to stop caring so much about what other people think of you and just do whatever strikes your fancy. If I want to put on a hot pink summer top and rock the Purrfume, I am not going to let any notions of proper decorum stop me. (Youth really is wasted on the young a good deal of the time.) I always was more of the girl next door type anyway, so why not make the most of it? Who knows - maybe some blushing swain will tell me I smell pretty.

We have a special treat this time –several winners of the prize draw will each receive a carded sample of the Purrfume AND a Sali Oguri Pink Manhattan CD! This contains six of Sali’s atmospheric and innovative pop songs, and was originally released along with the fragrance as Sali’s “Sensorium of Song And Scent.” Just mention in the comments that you would like to be entered in the draw. Winners will be chosen over the weekend and announced shortly thereafter.

The Purrfume is currently available only from Sali’s web site and comes in a 1/3- ounce roll-on perfume oil for $95. Trust me when I say a little bit goes a long way. (And you can check out the music tracks on CD Baby’s Web site.)

Image credits: Photo of a very peachy-looking “girl next door,” actress Halle Berry, from solarnavigator.net; Pink Manhattan Purrfume bottle from salioguri.com.

Labels:

49 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, this sounds lovely. Please include me in the drawing. Nice to hear about a new interpretation of Gardenia; I will always be on the look out for a gardenia that works for me. By the way your description of the fragrance and the picture of Halley Berry, perfect pairing!

10:07 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peach and gardenia- what a yummy combo! This is a fragrance I'm itching to try ((though I'd hardly consider myself "the girl next door")- it sounds like the perfect compliment to a warm and lazy summer day! Please enter me in the drawing.

10:54 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

I'm curious and would love to be included-
I missed the Persephone boat, alas.

I've read her thoughts and she sounds like a fascinating lady.

[ Love Halle Berry- esp. in that short hair !]

11:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds purrfect for me ;-) Please enter me in the drawing.

11:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenavira13, you're in! Thank you - When I saw that picture I knew it was the one I wanted!

12:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minou 2, it is very summery indeed. You are in the draw!

12:26 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaya, you are in.

Sali is a woman of many talents and interests; I am just glad that one of them is perfume.

Hey, we gorgeous short-haired ladies have to stick together, right? ;-)

12:30 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet, your name is in the hat!

12:32 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Sweetie you are certainly young enough to be the girl net door. That in no way is a way to rocket me to the top of the list mind you...

2:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds gorgeous! Please enter me in the drawing. Thanks!

2:34 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halle Berry--perfect. Your innate skill to consistently hit the mark about fragrances is always enjoyable, enlightening, and I love your sense of humor. Please, do Do DO put me in for the drawing; maybe I'll get Lucky! FERDIE

2:41 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty-Please include me too! This sounds purr-fect for spring!!!

It sounds like this would of been perfecy for Gweneth Paltrow to wear with he last peach "Oscars"
dress!

Kayliana

6:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooo! this is exactly what I've been craving lately. I got into perfume for the heavy, smoky, dark stuff, but lately I've been wanting some fruit and flowers. still want it heavy though :)
please include me in the drawing.

8:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Wow, Donna, this one sounds ravishing. I am still struggling with the last vestiges of my peach-o-phobia (Giorgio traumatized me in high school; what can I say?) but your description is delectable.

Will you toss me in the hat too? :)

10:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Claudia said...

This really sounds divine, and I would love to try it. Please enter me in the draw. Thanks so much!

10:27 AM EDT  
Blogger dsb said...

From one Donna to another....please include me in the drawing. Sounds exactly like what I'm craving right now....nothing wrong with pretty.

11:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This fragrance sounds like just the thing for this time of year. I would love to try it; please enter me in the drawing as well.

12:51 PM EDT  
Blogger the oblitterati said...

Wha a beautiful description. I've heard so many good things about this scent but have never seen it in person. Please enter me in the drawing.

1:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds quite delicious -- I'd love to be entered into the drawing, thank you!

1:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love gardenia and would love to be in the draw

1:25 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry - the above anon was Kim!

1:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds beautiful. I love the idea of peach in a fragrance, but everything I've tried goes Jolly Rancher on me.... Please enter me in the drawing, thanks!

4:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love white florals..so am curious about this one- please enter me in the draw..

4:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I thank you; I may not be a sweet young thing, but I don't act my age either! ;-)

1:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jean, thanks, and you're in!

1:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks Ferdie, and your name is in!

1:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kayliana, that is a great suggestion! You are on the list.

1:08 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck in the draw, Rachael - I think this would be right up your alley.

1:09 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Ducks, scarred for life by Giorgio?! Horrors! Take two spritzes of Lady Caron and call me in the morning! ;-D

You're in!

1:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claudia, you have been added!

1:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dsb, pretty is wonderful, and this fits the bill. You're in the draw.

1:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, you are in, and yes this is a great scent for Spring.

1:15 AM EDT  
Blogger womo531 said...

Gardenia and Peach... didn't an etailer have this combo... GreenLadysoaps or something like that. You have managed to stir a lemming =) Please count me in for the draw!

1:19 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Oblitterati, thanks so much, and you are in the draw!

1:20 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noy, it is really delicious, and your name is on the list.

1:21 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous Kim, you're in! :-)

1:22 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica, Jolly Rancher, really? I prescribe the same cure as I gave Ducks, above - promise me you will try Lady Caron soon, and you are in the draw! (If you win, this should fix it too!)

1:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Monica, I looked that up, and Green Lady Soaps is no more, but its formulations have been recreated by a new owner and the company is called Jojoelle - I could not find a peach & gardenia scent but everything else sounds just delicious! Just go to jojoelle dot com and click on "Scents". Thanks for leading me astray - in a good way. :-)

You are in the draw!

1:50 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds fairly delicious to even a white floral hater like me! maybe im not a white floral hater and im just clinging onto that characteristic that used to describe me.... id love to be entered.

6:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, this sounds fantastic--I love gardenia scents, Kai, Monyette Paris, Coquette Tropique. Please enter me in the drawing!

8:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Sylvia, I really hope you have a chance to try some really good white florals and appreciate them.

You're in!

12:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Hopeb, me too! Your name is in the draw.

12:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please include me too! I too have been looking for a gardenia that works on me.

2:09 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, it sounds lovely! I love gardenia. Count me in!

2:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Asta, you are indeed included!

1:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Dark-phoenix54, you are entered!

1:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Vireo Perfumes said...

Oils make good? A musician perfumer?
I am a fan!

Please include me in the draw.

1:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Knidonovan, you are included!

3:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Please note, the prize draw is now closed. Thank you all for your comments and your participation. Good luck!

1:33 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home