Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ralph Lauren Romance Always Yours: Perfume Review

It has been ten years since I smelled the original Romance. And frankly, the only reason I was curious to try the "new chapter of everlasting love", Romance Always Yours, was ...advertising, the print ad and the TV commercial, both featuring my favorite Valentina Zelyaeva. It might be that I am more of a sucker than I imagined or it might be that I am just in a mood for this running-with-wind-in-wavy-hair-to-prince-on-white-horse kind of imagery, but they worked.

I am also apparently in a mood for fresher scents than I usually am and for more...how shall I put this?...conventionally pretty ones than I usually choose. I will admit that I don't remember the first Romance all that well, but it seems to me that Always Yours is spicier, creamier and muskier than the original. Ginger and freesia are the first notes I smell and this dazzling-pink accord stays in the forefront for the duration of the fragrance on my skin (and let me tell you, Always Yours is truly everlasting). Rose makes the floral blend sweeter, while what I imagine is lily freshens it considerably. I could easily do without that much freshness, but I suppose it goes with the "conventionally pretty" territory and with Ralph Lauren brand image in general. I like the clean floral muskiness of the drydown...Always Yours is not, I repeat, not what I would wear on any sort of consistent basis, simply because I won't have that many perfect occasions to do so (see below), but I am rather drawn to its classic and approachable prettiness. This is a perfume to choose for a first day with somebody who, you suspect, is not that much into perfume. Or to meet the guy's conservative parents. Or to marry the said boy in a traditional sort of ceremony.

If you foresee any of the above happening in your life, look for Romance Always Yours at department stores, $60.00-$72.00 for Elixir de Parfum, $225.00 for Parfum.

The image, by Bruce Weber, is courtesy of Ralph Lauren.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger poodlegirl said...

M, I haven't sniffed this one (or even the original), but I'll be more willing now, thanks to your post. I agree with you - the model is perfect, and it's so refreshing to see a perfume ad using romance rather than S-E-X for the pitch. And a fully-clothed model, to boot! :::gasp:::

9:08 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, thank you Poodlegirl for pointing out that that stunner of a model is fully clothed...and a woman too...sadly unusual in marketing.

Now I'm not a fan of any of the Ralph Laurens and have smelled the original Romance on others. It is fresh and light with loads of soft roses. I have my favorite roses already, Ecume de Rose and MPG Rose Muskissme (so far anyway), but I'll probably try it if I see it.

Thanks for the fun review!

Lovethescents

9:26 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Have to say I don't think this perfume sounds like something that is "me", but it actually does sound quite lovely and I'm thinking it would be *perfect* as a room scent - maybe a candle? Or just spritzing the scent as a room spray? I'm definitely going to have to sniff it w/ this in mind next time I'm at the mall. Oh, and Valentina truly is to the extreme stunning. In my next inc. I am going to put in a request to look like her...which will require some shockingly good karma on my part this inc....problematic!

12:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
Exactly, romance instead of sex- unheard of these days.

8:49 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
You know, this one is not rose for me, maybe freesia more than rose,

8:49 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Impossible, next life I am coming as Valentina. You can have Natasha Poly, she is gorgeous too. :-)

8:50 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marina, I don't have a favorite freesia; I don't have any freesia for that matter. What are your top freesias, if any?

As for coming back as Valentina, make sure you eat a little more than she does. She looks like she could use a sandwich or two.

Lovethescents

9:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
Probably Chanel Beige. In huge doses, I find freesia to be terrifying :-) Here in Romance AY, it is in an acceptable amount :-)

9:52 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, what a great way of saying it--"romance instead of sex." Are you listening to poodlegirl, Tom Ford?

I'm moving into the second week of my cold and am desperate to smell *anything*--even this. I am a teensy bit concerned at how my sense of smell has vanished. Let's hope it comes back when the cold is gone. Meanwhile, since food is all texture now, I'm losing weight.

11:58 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Quinn,
I am sorry! I hope it comes back soon.

7:15 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the nicest scents to make a come back in a long, long time. I absolutely love it and feel in love with it from an insert in a magazine. I carried the insert in my purse for a month!!

3:10 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is the male model please?
thanks

10:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever used Romance Tender Notes I'm trying to find it...any leads as to where I can find it?

12:23 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home