Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, March 16, 2009

Arab Perfumes Al Rawza


By Marian

It's dawn, and the sun is still coy. It shyly reflects off the hose-khaneh in our courtyard, a liquid sheet of pale gold. The children and I have decided to sleep beside the water to enjoy the morning breeze and awaken to the trill of nightingales. Tendrilled wisps of orange blossom caress us, whispering that it's time to get up, scented murmurs so soft and gentle I wonder if I'm still dreaming. I open my eyes. The sun is wrapping our private paradise in buttercup gauze, the nectared sweetness of ylang-ylang and jasmine hovering within its fragrant folds.

Slices of barbari, a slab of feta, a silver bowl overflowing with sour cherry jam, and a basket of mulberries wait patiently for us to arise. But it is the scent of saffron tea, escaping through the arched window and into the morning air, which lures me from my garden bed.

The sun is rising. The fountain is merrily gurgling and the sun is sneaking beneath the ample aprons of the cedar trees. The children, now awake, scamper into the pool and wash the night away.

Al Rawza, classified as a “soft oriental” can be purchased from Arabperfumes.com. 3ml- 50 GBP ($70.00), 6ml- 85 GBP ($119.00), 12 ml-150 GBP ($210.00). Incidentally, Arabperfumes.com “Posh Ambergris” is the best ambergris I've sampled!

The giclee print of Princess Sitting in a Garden, is from allposters.com

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I want to be there too...

12:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

OMG, can I come too? That sounds just divine! I must check out that website!

12:42 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

me too!

1:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Madelyn E said...

Dear Marian,
Take me to this paradise ~~How beautifully written, I could almost smell the scent and taste the jam. What a beautiful review !

1:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Hanna said...

Marian, this is so poetic and evocative! As I read it I feel I'm in an enchanted place. But more importantly, it speaks to the senses, as a perfume should. Brava!

10:58 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Now I'm hungry for food and perfume...

11:25 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that was transportive on a dull Monday morning! If the perfume can conjure up those images, it is a true treasure. Inspired and inspiring!

12:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Wow, what a transporting review. Just promise me that feta cheese is not a note in this fragrance... :)

1:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm. This sounds divine. I wonder if its available in the States?

2:38 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

What a beautiful post! And especially wonderful to read on a cold, gray, rainy day. Thank you!

6:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poetic and beautifully descriptive review of the perfume. It not only makes me want to smell the perfume, it makes me want to read the novel! :)
~Nancy

7:22 PM EDT  
Blogger NewKidOnTheBlog said...

Bravo!

Beautifully written. I could almost smell it!

Mr.C.

8:07 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora: Do come! Your lovely name suits the perfume so perfectly!
tmp00- Were you to smell the perfume, I would love to read what you'd write about it! ;-)
Madelyn- When we next get together you'll definitely have to give it a sniff!
Hanna- Thank you for your kind words!
ScentScelf- This is definitely a perfume that would satisfy both!
Anonymous1- I hope your Monday got less boring as the day progressed ;-)
Ducks- I promise no feta notes, but do try some feta with sour cherrie jam. It's a typical Persian breakfast and absolutely yummy!
Anonymous2- Unfortunately not, but I think they don't charge for shipping ;-)
Thank you for your sweet comment. I wore it this morning and it DID brighten my day!
Nancy- I'm sure you've read many descriptions of how people envision paradise. I hope you'll share them with me. Maybe during a visit to the Met Islamic galleries?
NewKidonTheBlog- I'd glad give up a bottle of the scent in exchange for your wit!

10:24 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous description. So vivid, I can see/smell it now. Irresistible!

12:01 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marian,

Your review is captivating. Before I knew, the sweet, earthy bouquet of "floating gold" had enveloped my senses.

Susane

9:48 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say Marian,

Its all been said before ... the scent lingers on and you express the mystery so beutifully .....

Eugene

1:51 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home