Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Red Vetyver and Black Aoud

By Tom

Fist thing: the winner of the draw for the solid perfume is Marko. Please give us your mailing info and I will get the package right out.

Montale is a house that I am becoming more and more enamored of lately. I've been pretty nuts about Musk to Musk and Greyland, so I was interested to try some more.

Red Vetyver opens for me with immediate, pulpy grapefruit and bone-cold vetiver, quickly joined by hot black pepper, cedar and patch. It's certainly one of the more interesting vetivers out there; the dance between heat and chill is especially delightful. $125 for 50ML

Black Aoud is perhaps the most straightforward of this trio; an aoudy rose with a woody base. It is a heartbreakingly lovely rose however, and I write that as someone who can be a big-time rose hater. It smells plush and expensive in a way that other fragrances that come in diamond-encrusted bottles don't. You can smell like a million for $150 for 50ML.

Oud Cuir Arabie is the one of the three that I'd most love to see in my holiday stocking; it's leather that skirts the line between kid gloves and biker jacket with a sweet tobacco note that's a delight. The aoud note adds a delightful saltiness to the scent. The only thing I can think of is riding behind Brando circa "The Wild One", burrowing your head against his back to keep the wind off your face, the smell of his jacket and the slightly salty smell of his skin. Also $150 for 50Ml, and I am going to go fan myself now..

Available at LuckyScent and Aedes

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger chayaruchama said...

Ah, Tom !

We are in total agreement; love the Brandoism for Cuir D'Arabie.

Black Aoud turned on me, over time, and bit me in the hinder...
I was forced to move it to a new home, LOL.
[In Nevada, no less !]

There is a part of me that :
1) Feels that Montale desperately needs to improve those spray tops
2) Ought to have a 'dab' option- like Miller Harris, and SMN, etc.
Some of these can do serious damage, when sprayed...

[Kisses to you]

7:43 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Just realized it's been approximately three and a quarter centuries since I last wore Black Aoud. *Must* remedy that. Love it! But I have been wearing Cuir d'Arabie regularly. Brilliant, extraordinarily comforting stuff.

8:17 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loooove the Brando pic.

Thanks for the reviews!

8:56 AM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

Goodness, Tom! I am off to fan myself, too!

Wonderful reviews.

11:41 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

I wish they had a dab option as well. I could see where Oud Cuir could feel like Marlon's beating you if over applied..

11:46 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

It is comforting, isn't it? (don't know what that says about us though..)

11:47 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mals86-

I'm rather in love with that pic as well!

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

Thanks!

11:48 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what it is with me and the Montale Auods. They smell like medicine/hospital on me. Oh well.

12:44 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Olfacta-

I can actually see where that could happen. Aoud is a fairly medicinal smell to it.

2:14 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I see I am not the only one fanning myself here - I love these, especially the Black Aoud. I cannot get enough Aoud, even though it is so powerful and nothing like what I thought I would like before I tried it. Great review!

3:52 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I am becoming very oudy and I get older..

5:13 PM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Ay, yi yi, Tom. I thought I had enough Montales (love Black Aoud) but I have clearly been missing out on Cuir d'Arabie. Must remedy this ASAP.

And will dream of young Brando tonight...

5:51 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

You might try Greyland as well...

6:10 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a coincidence- I just received some Montale Aoud samples (white Aoud- because of Marina, Aoud Rose Petals and Black Aoud) that I'd ordered from luckyscent. I remember sampling the Black Aoud at the scent bar a while back but by the time I realized that the rose was one of the most gorgeous I'd smelled- I was back home (in OC)..So, I thought Id sample it once more..I usually don't like straight up roses and am partial to white flowers BUT I LOVE dark or boozy,spicy and/or dirty roses..*drooling*

Re: Oud Cuir d'Arabie- I usually don't like the smell of leather in 'real' life and automatically assumed (like I did with roses in the beginning) that I'd hate leather in perfumes. But I have loved some perfumes with leather (but served with spices), and I really like Tabac Blond and Daim Blond , so maybe I should give this one a try?

6:56 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lavanya-

I think you should.

7:24 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black Aoud, it is one of my all time favorites, special because it can only be worn when the person I am with enjoys being bowled over by my scent. I love the way it smells lingering on scarves and sweaters (for months)! I also adore Roses Petals, Queen Roses, and White Aoud. The Cuir is a little raw for me, but I must try it again because the Brando association is hot. Thanks for the great review.

10:13 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

2scents-

I love the idea of smelling that rose on clothes days later.

I can imagine that if one was liberal at spritzing these they could be a bowl=ever kind of thing. I had samples and dabbed.

10:51 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so grateful to you for these very straight forward reviews. Based on them, I am not rushing out to try them although wouldn't turn away given the chance.

Thanks for all the help :-)

Lovethescents

9:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to some of Marina's comments in other posts about how much she likes aouds, I've also been sampling a bunch of the Montales--especially the rose ones: Queen Roses, Damascus, Rose Petals and Royal. The one that I thought was FB worthy was the Queen Roses (although Damascus is a close second). I love the combination of rose and aoud--so exotic and yet so comforting. Thanks for this review.---Jen

2:01 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Tom,
most probably it's nothing new to you, but Le Labo (yes, those with over-applied marketing...) is launching their latest scent at Colette on the 27th of March.

It's called "Oud 27" and features notes of Atlas cedar, incense, Patchouli and Saffron.

And I'm very curious !

ljg, the oud addict (caused by Marina !)

10:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

please include me in the draw

12:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

oops forgot to leave a comment before - please include me in the draw

12:26 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home