Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, June 26, 2009

Strange Invisible Perfumes Aquarian Roses: Perfume Review

Like every great magic trick, every great perfume consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". But while during this stage a magician usually shows something ordinary and normal, a perfumer more often than not has to attract one's jaded attention with the striking and the unexpected. No one is more adept at that than Alexandra Balahoutis, whose perfumes are notorious for being "odd" in the beginning. I would not call the top notes of Aquarian Roses outright weird, but the piney, herbaceous aroma of marjoram opening a rose perfume is unexpected, and the realism of the rose accord is stunning.

The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary object and makes it do something extraordinary. The perfumer has to make sure that the middle notes live up to the nose-catchiness of the beginning of the composition. And thus the marjoram leaves suddently turn into...underwater plants?...the saline, seaweedy quality in a rose fragrance is unusual and exciting...but where are the roses?

Cutter will tell you that making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. And that is the third act of a magic trick, the hardest part, the part that is called "The Prestige"...Will Balahoutis pull it off and make the very true-to-life roses from the first part come back...and most importantly of all- and this is what the trick was really all about- would, in the finished creation, those be the roses that I will love and be able to wear?...Are you watching closely? The aquatic plant transforms into a rose and the base accord takes the rose and leads into the familiar, time-honored union with sandalwood. Do I love it? I love it! Love the herbal start, the salty middle and the proper-perfumey, strangely old-fashioned end.

Abracadabra!

Available at Siperfumes.com and Barneys, $175.00-$210.00

The image, the quotes and the general inspiration for the review are courtesy of one of my favorite movies, The Prestige.

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review! And the ending is so appropriate--"Abracadabra" is the transliteration of an Aramaic word meaning, "I create as I speak." Perfect for this perfume, no?

3:05 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I can't even imagine a more perfect way to describe this gorgeous, complex scent. Brilliant! :-)

6:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an outstanding review!! It was a pleasure to read. Thank you.
Marilynn

7:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Wow quinncreative, I think that's going to be my Favorite Fact of the Day! Thanks!

And thanks to you, Marina! I'm not sure the SIP is for me, but I totally want to watch The Prestige now...

8:43 AM EDT  
Anonymous dissed said...

Marjoram and rose. Great pairing. Must try.

8:50 AM EDT  
Anonymous N.Tesla said...

Wow. Amazing how you always tie it all together.

10:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Quinn,
It has always been one of my favorite words. All meanings aside, I just love how it rolls off the tongue :-)

10:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Which of the three did you like? I am struggling with Urban Lily.

10:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Marilynn,
Thank you so much! :-)

10:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
A friend recommended it, and as I watched, I kept thinking, no no no, too much, too complicated, but then BHAM! and it all came together in the end :-))

10:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
They really are lovely together.

10:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Well, Mr. Tesla,
How flattering it is to win your amazement :-)

10:36 AM EDT  
Blogger EileenS said...

An enticing review! I have a sample of this but have wanted to try it when I can really spend undistracted time with it.. you are making my resolve crumble!

10:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Eileen,
TGIF then, right? :-) Maybe there will be time during the weekend.

10:53 AM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

Wow, great description of a really unusual scent. Sounds like it needs to go on my (long) list of Rose perfumes to try.

4:09 PM EDT  
Blogger popcarts said...

Do I love your review? Love it!

4:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

to quinncreative :->...Ebra kedabra...precisely...just yesterday I was commenting the Aramaic with an English friend...

to you, dear Marina: convinced, especially by the structure of this article...you operate some magic yourself, ending with....Abracadabra...great. How do I buy or get samples of this?

10:23 AM EDT  
Anonymous Trish said...

Fabulous review and great factoids! So glad I popped in to PST this morning :-)

11:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Hanna said...

And you're a magician with words, Columbina. You have an amazing ability to bring things to life! I've never been a fan of SIP, but you've planted a beautiful seed and now I'm excited to watch iit develop over the coming months!

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Definitely a must-try!

12:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Popcarts,
Thank you! :-)

12:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Fabiana,
You are, as always, very kind! Thank you! Theperfumedcourt would have samples, I am sure and they ship worldwide.

12:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Trish,
I am so glad you liked!

12:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Hanna,
Your praise is more precious to me than the most precious oud. I hope you will enjoy the perfume.

12:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh...great. Wearing Kaipu Cherry as a touch of complicity with the blog and the intention to try 'natural' fragrances. Thanks.

10:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Fabiana,
Today the weather here is also begging for that Cherry to be worn.

10:37 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Ever since I was sent down the rabbit hole by Black Rosette, I've been waiting for an SIP that invited me to sit, relax, be not only at peace with my tumble down, but maybe even loll around a little bit and just soak up the pleasure.

Black Rosette was SO cool for me, but kept me at the edge of my chair, because I was super aware of the odd notes, and waiting for something else to slap me a bit.

Aquarian Roses, in your hands, sounds like the kind of thing that will blend the magic and the pleasure in just the right way...the abracadabra part is not only a bringing it back together, but an apotheosis that brings it all back to the ground, no? Rising action, twists and turns of orchestration, but the moment that shows you you can relax, enjoy the whole ride, the roller coaster is going to just roll along through pleasant territory with just the right amount of scenery and rumbling for a while at the end.

(I'm going to start putting an "M" by the scents that you are responsible for on my "try it" list... ;) )

9:40 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home