Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Killing me Softly: By Kilian Rose Oud

By Tom

I've been resistant to By Kilian. It's really all my issue. I do admit that the scents are nice but the level of twee is cranked up to about 11 with the packaging with the little keys. That and Kilian Hennessy makes me feel fat. (I told you it was my issue)

Then he started moving into Oud.

Oud is I believe the new wood, or perhaps the new fruit. Previously having been the seeming provence of only the house of Montale, it seems like everyone and his brother have a new scent featuring the ingredient. Soon at a Sephora near you: Infectious by Sean John.

By Killian Pure Oud is lovely, but forgive me if I write that there are a few others out there that are doing the same thing for a little less money? Rose Oud treads a different path.

Roses are often grafted to sturdier root stock to get healthier flowers. The mix of Caron-like cabbage roses and Agarwood is so seamless as to be as if the roses grew directly from the wood, sucking up the oud and radiating it along with the delicious sweet rose, saffron and cardamom.

It isn't something I would buy for myself if only because of the price point: a shade less than $400 for 50ML is a little more that I want to put out, and I have a feeling that there are a few other less pricey, less opulently packaged scents that have treaded this part of the garden. But if this is in your budget, go for it.

Available at all places that sell By Killian. I got my sample by asking for it at ScentBar.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Ducks said...

Eesh, that IS a heavy price point.

I have been trying and trying to tame rose absolute in my little lab, and only two other essences have helped keep it from swinging into a candied fecal note that I cannot get down with: oud and the other one is my little secret. In the process, I've really decided I like oud. A lot.

2:41 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I do too!

2:43 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I know I would love this, but how does it compare to the Montale rose ouds? Is it as good as Queen Rose or Roses Petales? Or is it really different in style?

12:04 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Dunno. I was disappoitend by Kilians Pure Oud (it's not bad - but I expected something special). To be honest : $ 400 is off putting (shame on me?). Saying that I'm going to put on Oud from LeLabo (I know, I know, an entirely different department...)

5:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

IMHO Kilian's Rose Oud is a pale imitation of Arabian perfumes that are often based on the same notes. Agaraura's "Areej Al-Mulook" (Cambodian and Indian oud, musk, sandalwood, turkish rose, taif rose, saffron, amber, and "other oils". currently $135/3ml ) is richer and more complex than Kilian's blend, and is also more affordable and longer lasting. Although Kilian's bottle is a "Knockout" (the name of a popular rose that is very floriferous but unscented), I'd rather grow "Areej Al-Mulook" in my garden and forgo Kilian's fancy packaging.
On the other hand, your reviews are always so insightful and clever, Tom, I'm glad Rose Oud exists, if only because it inspired you to put pen to paper (I mean fingers to keyboard)!

9:11 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Agreed, Marian.
But for the American market, this is a lovely scent, and tenacious.
Not nearly as delicious as the ones you describe.

Tomski- I always want to know what YOU think.

Totally agree that the cutesy factor is waaaay too much for me, regardless of price or fragrance;-D

I'm not buying, Donna- I'd go for the Roses Petals over this, simply because it feels leess astringent.

10:56 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I think you an stick to the Montale's

11:50 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

I love the Our from La Labe!

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

I'm going to go check those out...

11:52 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Chaya-

Thanks!

11:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous Claudia0219 said...

I agree...the price is hefty and i also 100% agree that there are some fragrances out there equally as nice and a bit more affordable. Oud seems to be the new wood and its not for everybody. I think i will stick with Montale White and Red Oud if i am i the mood for such. I sampled both Kilian Oud and Rose Oud and to me neither stands out to warrant the price :(

8:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous Tara C said...

I guess I'm the lone dissenter here today - I love both Pure Oud and Rose Oud. To me they are perfectly blended and smooth, much more wearable than most of the Montale line for me. I bought the 100ml aluminum bottle refills for $350, which is an acceptable price per ml to me for the pleasure I get from them. I could not care less about the fancy packaging, I have them in plain glass sprayers.

5:45 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home