Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Into the Woods: Anat Fritz Eau de Parfum

By Tom

Well the weather roller-coaster that is Los Angeles continues apace. Last time you tuned in (the 10 Corso Como review was written on 9/26) it was hot. The day after I wrote that review was the hottest day in recorded history in LA: the temps hit 113 when the official thermometer at USC blew up. The beaches weren't that much cooler: 111 in Long Beach and a chilly 107 in Santa Monica. I stayed at a meeting in a thankfully air conditioned room at Roxbury Park until forced out to the blast furnace that was my un-air conditioned hovel. The next day when it was merely 104 it felt like Canada.

Of course the next week when the review actually ran, reinforced my reasoning to not have an AC unit: it rained intermittently Monday and Tuesday and poured Wednesday and temps didn't hit much higher than 60. This Columbus Day weekend the weather took its Paxil and it was gorgeous. So I went to ScentBar.

I realise that that particular sentence could come after any life experience I might have, sort of like that game where you read your fortune from the cookie and add "in bed". For instance: "I had a appendectomy. So I went to ScentBar." "I was given the Nobel Peace Prize. So I went to ScentBar." "I was attacked by giant, man-eating clams. So I went to ScentBar." You get the idea.

In any case, I cruised the "man" side of the aisles this time and flirted with the bottom shelf. For those who have never been, ScentBar helpfully arranges the scents by strength; top are lighter and the lower you go the, well, lower you go. First up on the lowers shelf was Anat Fritz, which I had heard of but not tried. According to Luckyscent the scent is an eponymous one from a Berlin-based designer who has a "desire to send all wearers to their own individual travels into the past". Apparently that means a trip into the woods.

On me it opened in the best way possible: a warm, woody scent with bright lavender and vetiver. I think I smell immortelle in there, but it's not listed, and it's not Sables strength. Then it becomes a symphony of woods: cedar and sandalwood and a final addition of patchouli. It's very simple and very lovely and I was immediately in thrall. It reminds me somewhat of something that was on my mothers dressing table in the first phase, which if you've been reading for a while is high praise. After a while it becomes a handsome, smooth and paired-down scent that would be perfectly at home with a suit at the office or on a date. I don't think it needs to be restricted to the mens side either; if you're the sort of girl who rocks Chene for instance you would do well to try this. At the very least if you're partnered with a guy you could buy it for him and ruthlessly poach.

$120 for 100ML at Luckyscent

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I too would consider a visit to ScentBar to be the perfect answer to almost any life event, good or bad!

Anat Fritz must be another one of those nice, quiet civilized sleeper scents that should be more appreciated. I should check and see if "my" shop has it. It sounds marvelous!

1:33 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

This would be right up your alley (cat) and I mean that in the best way possible. It has a seriously retro vibe at the opening that's irresistable..

2:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organized from lightest to deepest? That must be a fun challenge for the staff. (I'm not being sarcastic, I actually think that would be fun...)How could anyone not start at the bottom???
Cheryl

9:19 AM EDT  
Anonymous EEM said...

you have no idea what woods are on my skin...they become great believable flowers. And then, sometimes, of course, one can layer. How and with what would you layer AF?
As usual, thank you for the review. living Here, i identify completely...'cold' becomes a concept, and a longing. Have friends in Copenhagen, and they wrote to me "we had a balmy sunday, with 2C, we lit the first fire of the season" . October. And they waited until 2c to burn the first fire...They could use so much Aki, Un Bois Vanille, Borneo, Anat Fritz and Myrrhe Ardente as they wish, but one is anosmic and the other more puritanical than i could bare to live with.
How to layer?

10:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Balutakat said...

Tom, I'm already wearing Filles en Aiguilles at your recommendation; I think if I buy this for my fella it'll smell like the National Forest in our house. I can't wait.

12:09 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cheryl-

That's where I always like to start ;-)

3:24 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

EEM-

I don't know if I would layer this. I liked it so much I think it would be a while before I experimented with that.

Maybe something musky..

3:25 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Katherine-

Thanks!

3:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Karin said...

Ah...what I wouldn't give to have a Scent Bar in the neighborhood. No such thing here! Take full advantage. :-)

5:33 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Karin-

I do!

9:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, For a very rare rich wood pile try "IF" cologne by howard jarvis at www.budparfums.com.au. You will be pleasantly surprised.Cheers,Mouse.

4:30 AM EDT  
Anonymous EEM said...

Sorry, I'm obsessed with layering at the moment because the fragrance devouring ogre in my skin is working in frenzy. IT wants more. After the horrour of Lambdanum 18 + farnesiana disaster I stopped layering, but.

7:04 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Karin, I envy you your Scent Bar. Sigh.

"Ruthlessly poach" is a wonderful phrase.

10:56 AM EDT  
Blogger pitbull friend said...

Thank you, Tom! I am always delighted to be reminded to try something I already HAVE some of! I've had a decant of Anat Fritz for some time. It's one of the many that doesn't get its due as I scramble to try the constant stream of new smells. It is simple and lovely and, if I were rich, I think I would spray my sweaters with it. I'm a girl who's a fan of Chene, too, so you've got me down perfectly! As to layering: I'd try a dollop of AF with a tiny dab of CB I Hate Perfume's Burning Leaves for the complete cozy fall smell. Matter of fact, think I'll go do that now!;>)

12:19 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mouse, that's not sold in the US as far as I know.

1:55 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

EEM-

I have no issue with layering at all!

The problem I had with this one is that I tried it in the store; it was a splash bottle so they couldn't make me a sample.

I might layer it with Eau de Sud..

1:57 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

museinwoodenshoes

thanks!

1:58 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

PF

It's one of the many that doesn't get its due as I scramble to try the constant stream of new smells.

I know exactly what you mean!

1:59 PM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

Fritz- my hair at the moment. No amount of perfume will help, woody or otherwise :(

3:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous EEM said...

Swooning with anticipated delight. Thank you :-)b

6:08 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home