Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Getting Fit with Home Scents! A Novel Approach

By Olfactoria

This week, in the spirit of getting off the couch and losing all those extra Holiday pounds we piled on, we are going to learn about a more physically challenging way to scent our homes than just lighting a match or putting up fragrant bottles and sit back lazily.

We are going to use room sprays!

I developed a sure fire method to evenly scent all the rooms of your home while staying fit and healthy at the same time.

Take a scented room spray of your choice and start in the room farthest from the front door of your house.

Now here is the trick: Go into the room right until you almost touch the far wall, then start going backwards, your arm stretched out in front of you and depress the nozzle firmly. Then, all the while going backwards, spray again, but this time swivel your upper body to the other side. Swivelling from right to left (or the other way around if you happen to be left-handed) move backwards out of the room, spraying merrily all the way.

This exercise improves your hand-eye coordination as well as upper arms, back and legs.

In the next room proceed as before, until you reach your front door. If you are accustomed to the movements, try speeding up the procedure.

I can do five rooms in under 60 seconds now, but don’t fret if you don’t come even close, I have been training for years and I am very good.

Please excuse this little detour into wackiness, I promise to stay serious now:

Christmas is so last year, but indulge me if I stay on theme for just a little bit longer and use Annick Goutal´s Noel. I already told you about the candle, I find the spray is even better though, because it transports the freshness of the winter forest it evokes, better than a candle ever could. I also love the bottle, I wouldn’t mind a perfume bottled like that at all.

The German brand Linari offers an extensive range of finest quality home scents. Diffusers, candles and room sprays in twenty fragrances are available as well as a sample set of 14 2ml vials. That is unusual and unique, I never saw a sample set for home fragrances before, I think that is a great way to explore the line.

I have Natale, which smells wonderfully of almonds and oranges, adds a little spice with lots of cinnamon and ends with a creamy vanilla note. It is great in winter, not necessarily only around Christmas, as it is very cheerful and cozy at the same time. I promise this is the last time I go on about Christmas, I do realize – it is over

Henri Bendel Home Fragrances used to make wonderful room sprays that were great value and came in a range of good scents. Sadly they are not available any longer (as confirmed by Henri Bendel, NYC), I tell you about them anyway, since they still offer candles and diffusers though, in most of the same scents. The room sprays can still be found on eBay from time to time.

A very good bet for a great room spray is Diptyque.

The line is extensive and high quality. I love the fragrances for home and humans Diptyque makes, and I am especially fond of the design. I am easily swayed by how something is presented. The beautiful back and white design of Diptyque says classy and elegant to me.

In an ideal world I would have a little cupboard holding the entire range of Room Sprays by Diptyque, and I would select a Scent of the Day for my home, just as I do for me. Being a normal (no comments, please!) person with a normal budget I have to pick favorites, and as hard as Diptyque makes that, because they are all very good, my favorite scents of the moment are Figuier, Feu de Bois, Feuilles de Lavande and Freesia. For a great winter scent Pomander also needs to be mentioned. But now I will stop. Cyprés – great. Okay, I am done now.

There is one more item I would like to mention: Aqua Di Parma Ambra Room Spray. I like this fragrance’s warm woody violet scent. Notes include Ambergris, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Cedar and Violet. It is not a traditional amber, but provides a very nice twist through the inclusion of violets. I wouldn’t mind seeing this one as a perfume as well.

Armed with recommendations and my incredibly valuable and helpful tips for staying fit and healthy, we can start the New Year in a great smelling home.

See you next week!

Image courtesy of notes.dpdx.net. Thank you!

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Love your humor! I had no idea AdiP had a room spray (sprays?)!

7:26 AM EST  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Goutal's Noel spray is a winner, it's a stable in my household for the period dec.20-jan.6 (which is my personal christmas time).

But in my dreams I'm the owner of a "Fleur Mecanique" (F.Malle)...

7:52 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

I also had no idea AdiP had a line of room sprays. I smelled their candles on several occasions at some NYC restaurants (the lounge areas,) but they did not impress me much.

9:11 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

I'm still a fan of simmering orange peel, clove, and cinnamon on the stove, but that's a nostalgic reach for something my mom taught me. :)

Perhaps I could samba whilst peeling...oranges, but of course.

I do happen to have one Diptyque room spray, Verveine (thanks to a scentful swap), and must admit that it is a happy spritz of lemon verbena, which reminds me of the pleasures of a lemon verbena plant on the patio. Otherwise, I am a fan of the diffuser...when fresh cut flowers and/or cooking aromas are not available. Or an open window. :)

I am impressed your level of room spraying fitness, though if you had tried to suggest even faster spritz per room times, I might have flagged the Lance Armstrong Institute for an investigation into possible performance enhancements. ;)

11:34 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, yes, Aqua di Parma has at least five different room sprays (that I know of). I remember a tea scented one, Foglie di The, Spices, Ambra, Colonia and Legni.

2:34 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Grey, I dream of Fleur Mechanique too. It is not particularly pretty to look at, but the scents sound so good. And the distinctive Malle red, very cool.

2:37 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I never smelled the candles. :) AdiP doesn't seem to push those sprays much in the US it seems, maybe they don't sell them there, I have not checked to be honest, I just assumed the European range was the same as the one in the States.

2:41 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ScentSelf, no doubt dancing the Samba while peeling oranges is a very healthy approach to scenting the home. I am glad that you have seen the light and also practice a very sensible method of combining both fitness and freshness.
I am deeply offended at your suggestion of possible performance enhancements, my extraordinary prowess comes from nothing but hard work and dedication based on a considerable natural aptitude. :)

2:50 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally picture you, a tall-willowy blonde, with baby under one arm, armed with room-fragrance in the other, spritzing backing through your house at speed.

As I one heard Mals (I think it was?) say, "I totally snarffed my spittle!" I love your sense of dramatic humor.

Also, I love room sprays! I've been looking forward to this post, since I tend to use them most in this "curiousity-might-set-the-cat-aflame" house. I've been using EDT's: two faves are Gres Cabaret and Gap Grass (Cabaret in the bedroom, Grass in the bathroom), but have been thinking about snapping up one of the Diptique's.

It's time to take the plunge! Also, I love the idea of the room-spray sample set; that might be fun too :)

6:36 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, can I write? And this is my first language... sorry readers.
Spritzing WHILE backing..
and so on. Yikes!

6:38 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

How delightful! Love the fitness idea, LOL! I want to try some room sprays but I will have to wait until my sister moves out, she will not tolerate even the best quality home fragrances and thinks everything is going to smell like Glade, so I have just been spritzing perfume on the lampshades instead.

1:27 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee, Using EdTs is a good idea, I do that too sometimes, especially with scents I don't want to wear on myself any more. Dyptique is a really great line, and looks so elegant too.

3:51 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora - perfumes on lampshades, perfect, I never thought of that yet. Thank you for the tip, will try that today! :)

3:53 AM EST  
Blogger Ines said...

I will have to add room spraying to my regular fitness routine - quick, efficient and nice smelling. :)
Thank you for another great selection of things to try for our homes.

5:54 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ines, thank you for reading! :)

8:21 AM EST  
Anonymous marian said...

I once purchased a lovely delicately green and softly floral spray from Takashimaya. I thought it was a perfume and applied it liberally until I found out, months later, that it was intended to scent the air, and not my body. I didn't feel comfortable wearing it once I knew and have kept my eyes (or should I say nose) open for a similarly-scented perfume. Maybe this year I'll be lucky!

6:04 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I bought my house I promised myself I would buy a Diptyque room spray. I had to order it from Montreal-I ordered quite a few! To this day when I spritz Cedre, or Choisya, or the discontinued Cuir (why, Diptyque-why???????) it reminds me of the pride I felt when I purchased my first home.

Sincerely,

Carole

7:52 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marian - ah, too bad. But I totally understand, once you know it is room spray you can´t use it on the skin with a good feeling any longer. I hope you find the right perfume soon!

4:49 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carole, that is a beautiful story. Some scents are forever linked to memories that are reactivated with every spray.:)

4:51 AM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Love your posts Olfactoria! Chuckling all the way through! And taking your tips all the way to mall! I'll be happy to do some reconnaissance work for you on AdiP room sprays' availability here in the states. Difficult as it is to shop ... ;-)

5:49 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Tamara! :)
I appreciate your offer of taking it upon you to look for AdP in the US, I know how awful it is having to trail the malls, boutiques and online stores looking for perfume and scents, I commend you for you bravery and willingness to sacrifice yourself!

8:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home