Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Etat Libre de Ricci Delice de Baker

Josephine Baker is a new offering from Etat Libre d'Orange, inspired, as the name suggests, by the legendary dancer, singer and actress. The thing is, it is not really new. It smells exactly, and I mean, exactly like...

...Délice d'Épices, the 1999 creation in the Les Belles de Ricci series by Nina Ricci. And I would know, since I have worn and adored this indeed delightfully spicy, delicately gourmand number for several years.

Reading about Jospehine Baker, we discover that it was created by Cecile Matton who has also created Délice d'Épices. Notes for Josephine Baker: grapefruit, cardamom, champagne accord, jasmine, black pepper, curry jungle essence, sandalwood, cistus, labdanum, lorenox, gourmand accord. Notes for Délice d'Épices: grapefruit, bitter orange, red apple, jasmine, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, pepper, cedarwood, musk, benzoin, tonka bean, vanilla, toffee.

If I still had some Délice d'Épices to do a comparison, perhaps I could have talked about the differences between the two. Going by my fond memory, the scents share the sparkly spiciness of the top notes, the honeyed fruity-floral accord of the heart and the rich, delicious and longlasting creamy, woody-ambery, subtly foodie base. Délice d'Épices has been discontinued and I have always thought it was shame to do so. Well, now it is back, reincarnated in a bottle with dancing Josephine.

Josephine Baker is available at French Sephora, 39,50€. Although Sephora declares it to be an exclusive, one can also find it at Les Senteurs, £52.50. I see Délice d'Épices on Amazon, $21.99-$44.95.

Image source, Les Senteurs, molka.ru.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is lovely when a good thing comes back! :)

4:22 AM EDT  
Blogger Karin said...

I have to say, this is better than reformulating a scent and trying to pass it off with the same name!

9:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

P.S. "Curry jungle essence"?

9:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful actually. I used to love Délice d'Épices!

10:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Hmm, I never did try the Ricci, but they/it/whatever sounds really good!

10:40 PM EDT  
Anonymous Sturd said...

Love the box!

3:51 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds exactly up my curried jungle path.

12:08 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home