Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, May 13, 2011

Strenesse Gabriele Strehle

By Marina

Almond seems to me to be one of the popular and sought after notes in the perfume universe, especially in the niche galaxy. I know that I am always on the lookout for something almondy. There are almond scents out there, but not so many that a fan can afford to miss one. Even (or perhaps especially) one as obscure as the 2001 Maurice Roucel creation for a German clothing brand, Strenesse.

On a scale of almondiness, Strenesse is perhaps a 5. The note teases you, seemingly weaving in and out of the composition. Here is a hint of it in the delicate peachiness of the top notes, made airy by the presence of citrus. Here is another hint in the heart of heliotrope, jasmine and lily of the valley, dominated by the latter. And you will smell a whiff of it in the orrisy, vanillic base too. The base, to me is the best part of Strenesse, there is something subtly delectable in the pairing of iris and almond. And I actually like the fact that almond play hide and seek here; as much as I love the note, when it is constantly present, it becomes grating.

The overall impression I get from the scent is that of whiteness, of childlike gentleness, of transparent fluffiness...It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of imagination. Slight soapiness, a side effect of muguet and in fact almond itself, spoils it a little bit for me. That said, I find the quiet, soft, translucent Strenesse to be utterly enjoyable, a perfect scent for a night or for a weekend.

Discontinued, but can be fairly easily found online, for example on Amazon and Overstock, for $25.00-$30.00.

Image source, Americana Manhasset

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up - any almond scents i've found always fade too quickly. i will have to try this one.

cheers,
minette

2:45 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I associate almond so strongly with Jergen's lotion that it's hard for me to think of it in terms of perfume. It falls under the category of things that smell great, but are not necessarily what I want to smell like. (Most gourmands and citrus perfumes fall under this category for me.)

You make this sound so tempting, though, as usual!

3:11 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love almond scents, so I'm going to have to seek this one out. Like you, I prefer less to more with this note, so apart from the soapiness (which can be pleasant or annoying, depending how strong), Strenesse sounds pretty nice as an everyday scent. In Hypnotic Poison, it's too much of everthing, almond and vanilla! How does Strenesse compare to HP or Louve?
-Marla

3:40 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to wear this for years, before I even knew who Roucel was! But it makes sense to me now, this is right up his alley. I was so sad to see it discontinued, I loved the little fingertip indentension on the bottle and the white milkiness of the juice. I haven't though about this fragrance for years but your post will have me buying a bottle for sure;-) Thanks for the nostalgia!!

6:20 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home