Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, May 21, 2011

"A type of conversation that happens in perfumery": WWD BeautyInc INterview with Jacques Polge

"What's your favorite fragrance not created by you?
I will never denigrade my confreres, but I'm not going to advertise them, either! That said, we all love the first perfumes made by the great houses, like Guerlain or Coty, because that's te beginning of it all. There's a type of conversation that happens in perfumery. When Coty did Chypre de Coty, Guerlain did Mitsouko. If we try to name all the fragrances with a relation to Shalimar, we'd be in the hundreds. I will say there'sa perfume by Schiaparelli that's now gone called Shocking. I worked for the company that made it before I was at Chanel. It has a lot o patchouli and every time I work with patchouli, I think of it.

What about favorites among your own?
I'd say Allure for women, becayse it's very simple and when I smell it on a woman it's very pleasant. (...)"

Two fragrances for Chanel by Polge are coming out this fall: "a women's scent for the limited edition Les Exclusifs range called Jersey, in honor of one of Coco Chanel's favorite fabrics, and No 19 Poudre, a rethinking of the original No. 19, with added notes of iris.

(Source, WWD BeautyInc, Sat. May 21st, The Frgarance Issue, pages 8-10.)

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous annemariec said...

Allure? Really? Ewww ...

A flanker (rethinking) to No 19. Do they dare? Holy Moses. If it turns out to be 'cleaner ... fresher ... lighter ... ' I will spit.

5:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Karin said...

Jersey? That's a strange name. I immediately think of the cow...

8:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Annemariec
Hopefully the opposite. Further in the article JP talks about how important iris is in the new 19

9:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Karin
And I think of Coast, -licious and Real Housewives of. :)

9:10 AM EDT  
Blogger kareng said...

Oooh, excited about the new releases...more iris is never a bad thing in my book :)

But Allure is your favourite, Jacques? It's probably my least fave Chanel, and I used to wear the stuff.

11:01 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always felt that No. 19 was pretty heavy on the iris anyway... not that more would ruin it necessarily.

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kareng
Not in my book either :)

1:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

museinwoodenshoes
let's see if it might be the case of too much of a good thing...

1:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Abigail said...

I would love a Chanel named Jersey. It makes me laugh, but being previously from New Jersey....I just love it!

2:43 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Abigail
Let the label be animal print...

2:58 PM EDT  
Blogger kareng said...

I read somewhere that Chanel No. 5 was actually produced in New Jersey for a short time during WW2.
So maybe there's more than just a connection to the fabric?

4:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

KarenG
INteresting, I did nto know that!

9:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous maggiecat said...

Two new Chanels is the Fall? Be still my heart! I wore Allure and allure Sensuelle for years - not now so much but I still love Chanel scents. They exemplify perfume as art.

5:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Undina said...

I look forward to both these releases but, just in case, will probably buy a bottle of the original No 19.

2:48 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home