Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Spice Chest: Penhalogons Elixir

I love Penhaligons, if only because they're so proper and English.  Sort of like reading an old English recipe for fish, where they will call for a "few grains" of cayenne to spice up the dish.  I never can quite tell whether that's real: do they really mean 3 or 5 grains?  Whoa, bug fella!  Don't go crazy now!

Elixir is like that.  Reading the list of ingredients you just know that if some of my other favorite perfumers were using them they would be jamming your face into them.  Cardamom and cinnamon and cumin (not listed, but I think I smell it) is in this one, but it's just a few grains and gives the sweet whisper of roses, jasmine and orange flower a bit of spice.  Those flowers dry down to an extremely handsome vanilla/tonka base that's a delight.

Olivia Giacobetti is the nose who created this 2008 scent, which I can state is completely unisex.  I'd wear it in a heartbeat.  If you've shied away from some other scents (like from our beloved Uncle Serge) whose spices have hit you like a sock full of quarters you might want to sample this.  I think it's brilliant.

$110 for 100ML at Luckyscent, where I sampled.

13 Comments:

Anonymous maggiecat said...

Sounds lovely, especially since cool weather might actually arrive here at some point. I've not had much luck with Penahligon's, but think I may need to try this.

11:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Dixie said...

What a nice review! Makes me want to sniff it!

2:14 PM EDT  
Blogger a.k.a. Warum said...

I love it!

3:53 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like it too, I have a bottle, the the eucalyptus note makes it a little odd for me, different thatn anything else.

11:53 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

A year or two ago I suddenly turned toward Penhaligon's. I sooo appreciate their quiet and understated excellence. And yes, their utter Englishness.

3:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Maggie-

I'd love to see what you thought of it.

11:19 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dixie-

Thanks!

11:20 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

a.k.a. Warum-

Thank you!

11:20 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

kjanicki-

it does make it stand out.

11:21 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

I think I'm becoming seriously in love with that house..

11:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of their fragrances are just too sweet for me, or have some odd part I don't work with well--cedar or cumin or English armpit. But his one does sound very intriguing.

8:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Magda said...

This IS fantastic. Thanks for giving press to an underappreciated fragrance.

1:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Jack Jonathan said...

its simply amazing. Thanks!

Tablet PCs In Pakistan

10:50 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home