Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Five-Star Hotel: Eau d’Italie Magnolia Romana - Review


When I go through my Osmoz kit of floral notes, I always stay the longest with the magnolia note. It is so beautiful, so tender. It is my favorite floral note. Strange that I do not have a single perfume featuring it.

Well, no more. Enter Magnolia Romana, one of the perfumes of the Eau d’Italie line by Bertrand Duchaufour.

It was created in 2008 and features notes of purple basil, lemon leaves, neroli, nutmeg, cypress, magnolia, Bulgarian rose, tuberose, lotus, ozone, aquatic notes, cedar, hay extract and white musk.

Magnolia Romana smells like fresh linen at an expensive hotel, an elegant bed, with crisp and cool, high tread-count sheets. A fresh, clean – freshly laundered even – scent, that should make us hard core Perfumistas wary of what is to come. But somehow it doesn’t, this is clean scent, yes, but one done by the master.

The perfume progresses into more floral territory soon, the magnolia, heavy with dew drops or rain, its affinity to water underscored by lotus, sits there, pink and pretty, enveloping me in its soft and tender embrace. Magnolia Romana is very long lasting, the drydown is pleasantly musky with vestiges of magnolia clinging on until the very end.

Magnolia Romana is easy to love, a perfectly likeable scent that is pleasing and carefree and simply lovely. It smells good in an expensive way. Like someone dressed casually, but expensively. Only the best fabrics, only the best tailoring even for a jeans and t-shirt kind of day.
Magnolia Romana smells like the understated elegance and quiet classiness of a really good hotel that does not approve of flashiness or overt opulence. Like a hotel I would very much like to stay in.

I smell the part.

Image source: fragrantica.com, capital-calling.com

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Olfactoria!
I like this one, but it's a little too well-groomed for my colonial tastes. My favorite BD floral is definitely the New Orleans brothel scent, Amaranthine, followed closely by the ethereal Flora Bella. How do you rank the BD florals?
-Marla

8:49 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marla,
I'm very much with you with Amaranthine on first place. It is ravishing! :)
Other than that there is Jardin du Poete I like a lot. I would not go for a bottle of Magnolia Romana, but it is nice enough for me having enjoyed my samples.
And BD and florals - apart for those mentioned I'm drawing a blank, I don't really associate him with florals. :)

12:25 PM EDT  
Anonymous Caro said...

Dear Birgit/fragrance-twin, would you believe I was just writing a review on Magnolia Romana for our blog?
I became acquainted with the Eau d'Italie line during a recent trip and I'm trying to put a few of them into words.
Magnolia Romana really surprised me. I usually gravitate towards dark, somber, spicy roses, but this pristine little thing is slowly capturing my heart. I find it perfectly balanced and the closest match to a real magnolia flower I have met.

1:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Undina said...

Birgit, nice to see you here again.

I have good experience with Eau d’Italie: I liked two perfumes I tried from this line - and I'm not drawn to them even though I still have my big samples more than half full. But I don't dislike them either. So if I have a chance I'll try this one as well. But probably in warmer weather: from your description it feels too clean for the season.

4:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Tara said...

I must get better acquainted with Magnolia now I know it's your favourite floral note. That Osmoz kit must be a great resource.

I haven't tried anything by Eau d'Italie so I really should remedy that. Your line "It smells good in an expensive way. Like someone dressed casually, but expensively" really made me get the feeling of this perfume. Lovely evocative review.

4:24 PM EDT  
Blogger ccdouglass said...

Hi Marina,

I'm so sorry to contact you this way! I was the winner of the Badgley Mishka giveaway. I would have contacted you much sooner, but my internet has been down for the last 4-5 days. Now it is back up, and I attempted to email you using your contact link, but for some reason when I click on it, it causes my email program to crash. So, I don't know your email address. If you would be so kind as to email me at ccdouglass@aol.com, I would be more than happy to send you my address. Thank you so much!

5:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love magnolia, and I think it is a hard note to do well. You have definitely piqued my interest in trying this one.

6:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caro,
great minds think alike, even half a world away. :)

3:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undina,
you're right, this line is probably better suited for spring.

3:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara,
the Osmoz kit is great! That was the best present ever.

3:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anotherperfumeblog,
Magnolia can so easily slide into an aquatic disaster, but here it is done well. (Not like Acqua di Parma, my nemesisi!) :)

3:17 AM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

This goes on my to try list for sure - I love magnolia. Nothing beats the living flower, but I am always looking for something that comes close!

3:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
real magnolias smell amazing, you can't reproduce that, but I think this is one of the better renditions of the note out there.

3:35 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home