Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Return of Summer

Well, summer dropped back into Southern California for a special visit.  It was 96 yesterday in the Hills of Beverly and it's supposed to be about the same today.  So much for finishing that review of the blood-type fragrance, today was all about the pursuit of Air Conditioning and summery scents.

The one that I grabbed for on my way out the door yesterday was Annick Goutal's oft overlooked Eau de Sud, Hadrien's younger, brasher brother.  I love Hadrien, but in serious heat it tends to take to it's boudoir fanning itself.  

The one I think I'm grabbing today is another Hadrien cousin, Les Nuits d'Hadrien.  This adds a little oomph onto the blameless citrus with juniper and a touch of spice that won't die out waiting for the bus.

Of course, I could bring out the big guns: Uncle Serge's Gris Clair has an opening lavender that's chillier than a trip to a meat locker.

In the interest of sucking up some AC I stopped into Nordstrom on my way home and found what might be a new like, if not a total love: J B Eau de Parfum by Jack Black.  I'll refer you to their website for the list of notes, since I can't say that I was discerning them well individually (I only did one spritz on my wrist while dawdling in the men's department.  It's a perfect scent for a line devoted to mens grooming: it smells sort of familiar to anyone who has ever been to a barbershop, but modern enough that it's not going to make you think of grandpa.  Well done, Mr. Black.

J B is $70 for 3.4 ounces, practically everywhere.  I sampled at Nordstrom.  The others were from my own collection and are old enough that they may not reflect what is being sold under that name these days...

Image: Painting Summer Heat by Mark Bowles.  Love his work..

6 Comments:

Blogger Doc Elly said...

Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud is the only one of her fragrances that I can say I truly love, maybe because it reminds me of something from my childhood.

Weather up here on the top end of the West Coast is summery today, too.

1:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Lavanya said...

I know! What's up with the heat? I want fall!!!

Wasn't sure what I'd be in the mood for - so wearing Chanel Gardenia on my wrist and vintage No. 19 edt on my neck!

1:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

The heat even made it down here to the OC coast. Ugh. I hate the heat at any time, but I downright resent it in Fall. You'd think that after 20 years of living here, I'd be used to the fact that it gets hot in the Fall, but you'd be wrong. Having 8 people shot to death 5 doors down from your favorite lunch spot didn't help my mood, either.

Anyway, I may have to track down a samp of Mr. Black's offering for one of the nephews. He's a fan, and is getting kind of interested in colognes.

Any other suggestions for a 16 year old just starting down the rabbit hole?

1:38 PM EDT  
Blogger a.k.a. Warum said...

What Doc Elly said about Eau du Sud. Some serious love for it around here, I see!

2:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous maggiecat said...

The idea of summer coming back is horrifying to us Dallas-ites who have endured almost 80 days of 100+ weather. It's very nice here now, thankfully, but I can empathize with your dilemma. For days this past summer I wore nothing by chanel's Cologne, the only scent that could stand up to the heat and make it bearable for me.

11:59 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing Mark Bowles. I had to go to his gallery site, and wow!
-Marla

1:23 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home