Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Lost Symphonies: What Happened to all the Classic Florals? (And a Prize Draw)

By Donna

I have always loved floral fragrances and putting forth the idea that the genre is in a decline might seem strange – after all, it is the most numerous group in perfumery, having reigned supreme over all others for at least two hundred years since the emergence of the modern perfume industry. The most popular one is Chanel No. 5, which is also the most popular fragrance of all, period. Many other greats are not far behind; Jean Patou’s Joy, Estée Lauder’s Beautiful, and Robert Piguet’s Fracas. However, if you think about it, many of the really great floral scents from major houses have been around for a long time, and modern masterpieces in this genre are not very common. Of course, niche and natural perfume houses release excellent florals on a regular basis, but when did you last see a big name mainstream launch of what I would call a classic floral – big, romantic, and unapologetically meant to smell like a massive bouquet? We get fruity florals that smell distinctly of plastic in the drydown, so-called “white” florals that seem to be made entirely of low-cost synthetics, hyper-sweet gourmand florals that reek of the morning after a Halloween sugar binge and the ones infused with so much “clean musk” that they smell like a bottle of fabric softener, only with a bigger price tag. We also get the timid, watery florals that seem to want to avoid being noticed at all costs.

Of course trends come and go, and we are still in the midst of the Orientalist influence that has been led by Serge Lutens, Montale and other high-profile prestige companies, and so many of our most sought-after fragrances are loaded with resins, amber, balsam, spices, woods, oud and incense. The other trend that I can’t believe is still going so strong is that of the gargantuan gourmand, beginning with Thierry Mugler’s Angel twenty years ago, and it resonates throughout the industry today from the most exclusive boutiques to the mall, where Angel and its Borg-like army of clones make life a misery for those who do not find the combination of chocolate, syrupy caramel, patchouli and huge synthetic woody-amber notes all played very loudly to be all that great of an idea.

I am talking about something else, a style that I love but which seems to have fallen out of fashion in recent years, the straight-up floral blend writ large. The concept of smelling ladylike, civilized, refined, elegant and so on seems to have fallen out of vogue – we want to smell sexy, edgy, shocking, avant-garde; we want to make a splash, an entrance, an impact. Of course this can be accomplished with the proper floral scent too – my bottles of vintage Lanvin My Sin and Corday Fame are deployed when such an effect on others is desired. After all, flowers are nature’s original temptresses, luring their willing victims with the siren call of scent and nectar for untold millennia. Yet floral essences can also be called upon to be something more by a skilled perfumer, a study in aesthetic balance, a striving for beauty for its own sake, and using all the materials and techniques available to build a balanced and pleasing composition that smells natural while not necessarily being photo-realistic; some of the most beautiful fragrances are abstract florals, blended so subtly that it’s impossible to pick out individual notes as they all work together in the best senses of the word “orchestrated.” I like to think of these fragrances as soaring for want of a better term – they are like clouds building, ever-changing and while developing seamlessly within the bounds of their respective structures.

Just which perfumes are these, you may ask? You don’t have to look back all that far to find some of the best of them, such as the original Lalique by Lalique, launched in 1992, the same year as Angel; would that it had been the harbinger of a pile-on trend instead! It would be hard to find a more elegant and delicately boned floral composition than this wonderful scent, authored by the great Sophia Grojsman (YSL Paris, Prescriptives Calyx, Lancôme Trèsor and many more). A multitude of floral notes including rose, peony, gardenia, orange blossom and more lightly accented with blackcurrant and mandarin on a mossy yet self-effacing base results in one of those fragrances that’s perfect for any occasion yet far from being a wallflower. I know that most modern perfumes have plenty of synthetics in them, but the good ones manage to smell as though they don’t, and Lalique smells like one of those huge yet impossibly stylish floral arrangements you see dominating the room in magazine layouts for upscale homes owned by art collectors or theatre people, constructed with obvious care and attention to detail.

Equally lush are some of the forgotten fragrances that were never all that popular in the first place. Does any one remember Madame de Carven (1979) or Intrigue (1986)? The house of Carven, known mainly for its great Ma Griffe and one of the best vetivers of all time for men, did some other very good perfumes back in the day, although many people might be surprised to know it. Madame de Carven is a rich floral with an unusual coconut note that is not in the least beachy, rather it just adds a little heft to a mélange of greens, peach and a bed of flowers highlighted by hyacinth. Intrigue is a highly pitched fresh green/citrus floral scent that is both exhilarating and a little soapy, in a good way. It smells like a day in spring when the sun has finally warmed everything up and the breeze is carrying the aromas of the garden to greet you as you step out the door in to dazzling brightness, the sweetness of blossoms tinged with zesty green.

Green florals are a particular weakness of mine and they just don’t make them like they used to. I recently rediscovered the fabulous Turbulences by Revillon from 1981, which is green and aldehydic but also just a little spicy with carnation and a touch powdery. It is one of those perfumes that makes you feel rich just dabbing it on, and it is aptly named; it swirls about the wearer in an ever-shifting pattern as the complex layers of notes tease and then retreat. Turbulences is one of those big Eighties “retro” florals of a style that is no longer popular, but I love it and I wish it were still around. Capucci’s wonderful Yendi (1974 was also very much in this vein, a green yet sweet and spicy floral; of course it too is no more. Don’t even get me started on Revillon’s long-gone Detchema (1953), an ethereally gorgeous fragrance with a hint of leather to ground it in reality. It is very hard to find now and it’s one I dearly wish I had bought by the case before it was discontinued. Speaking of discontinued, the entire Crown Perfumery line is no more but the house was known for its gorgeous florals such as Alpine Lily, Crown Bouquet and Maréchale; its hallmark was vivid, realistic feminine floral perfumes with an especially fresh and natural character that are well worth seeking out if you want to feel like you are standing in the middle of a meadow of blooming wildflowers; I know I do. Of course there are many more in this category, but listing them would turn this post into a book-length essay.

Among comparable perfumes available now, one of my favorites is one I have written about before, Joséphine by Rancé 1795. I fell for it instantly when it appeared on the scene in 2005, and my love for it continues unabated. Hyacinth is one of my favorite smells in the world, and this one plays it against pungent blackcurrant, May rose and warm Bourbon vanilla. There is nothing quite like it and it’s definitely a throwback – there is absolutely nothing trendy about it and that is exactly why I think it is a modern classic. Call me old-fashioned, but I wish there were more companies still making this kind of perfume. You just can’t go wrong with a great floral. Another is the shockingly little-known Lelong pour Femme by Lucien Lelong; the only new (1999) release from that company for decades feels like a vintage classic and is richly redolent of magnolia, lilac, orchid, jasmine and other florals underscored with an unusual ripe, sweet fig aroma that sets it apart from all the perfumes with astringent green fig notes. Even if I can’t have all the lost perfumes, there are some modern ones that work just fine.

I am offering a selection of samples of some of the perfumes mentioned in this post and a few surprises too (my choice, gambler’s luck for you) for one lucky winner, U.S.A. mailing addresses only please – if you would like to be entered, just say so in the comments, and if you wish, please mention your own favorite floral bouquet perfumes, old or new. I am always happy to take notes and add more to my list!

Image credit: “A Floral Symphony” painting by Eugene Henri Cauchois (1850-1911) via paintinghere.com

Disclosure: All of the perfumes described in this post are from my own collection, past and present.

Labels:

97 Comments:

Blogger Abhishek said...

well i am say to happy new year,
well perfume is the part of our life,
classic floral best way improve your personality.

2:04 AM EST  
Blogger Tama said...

What a great article, Donna! I don't know if I have smelled any of those, except My Sin, crown Bouquet, and of course Joy.

I wear a fair amount of Givenchy and have an older bottle of Organza floating around, and some Amarige. I know they are largely reviled, but I always feel a little more feminine when I wear them.

A modern green floral I think is well-done is Puredistance Antonis. I wish it wasn't so massively expensive, because I would already have some. Another modern floral I love is MPG Secrete Datura. I bought Crown Bouquet because of you, and have no regrets - it is lovely. I was also very pleased with this year's Baiser Vole from Cartier.

Although I have long been in the resin/spice/wood camp, I also very much enjoy a good floral fragrance.

3:39 AM EST  
Blogger Vinery said...

There is really nothing as lovely as a floral bouquet fragrance, but you are right...they take a bit of seeking out these days.

Caron Infini is one of my great favourites. It's like a rich floral syrup and so very addictive. Today I am wearing Coty L'Aimant, an excellent example of a retro floral aldeyhde. For a more modern version, I adore Divine L'eternel Femenin.

Sadly, I'm not ot eligible for the draw.

3:49 AM EST  
Blogger Parfumista said...

Great and very informative post!
I'm also into flowers this winter, mabye because it has been warm and green here in Sweden the whole season.
Today I wearing a beautiful contemporary floral, Antonia by Puredistance. Today (what a coincidence) I'm in my perfumeblog http://www.parfumistansblogg.blogspot.com/2012/01/van-cleef-arpels-first.html
reviewing the soapy, big aldehydic First by VC&A. It really makes a retro statement. Other floral boquets that I appreciate are MPG Jardin Blanc with it's slight dirty note of jasmíne, Montale Gold Flowers a big white boquet and 3Fleurs by Parfum d'Empire somehow cold, minty, green flowery.

6:11 AM EST  
Anonymous sybil said...

Happy New Year! Lately I'm loving Femme Indiviualle by Mont Blanc. It's got lotus and rose, and is not extremely complex, but it smells very nice and I've gotten many compliments on it (weirdly, because it's so pretty and feminine and not usually my thing.)

I'd love to be included in the drawing!

6:22 AM EST  
Blogger queen_cupcake said...

Hurrah for florals! I suppose they are the reason I've collected quite a few vintage perfumes. My favorite floral at the moment is Floris Edwardian Bouquet. (A good description, copied from Basenotes: "Edwardian Bouquet is a sumptuous blend of Bergamot, Hyancinth, and Jasmine. A hint of Galbanum blends beautifully with a heart of Orris, Jasmine, and Lily over the exquisite and earthy base of Green Moss, Amber, and Sandalwood.") I would love to be included in the draw--and thanks!

6:57 AM EST  
Anonymous Fernando said...

There are several old-style florals on my wife's perfume rotation, including several of the ones you mentioned. Two that you didn't are Beyond Paradise and Royal Pavillon. She also likes Chelsea Flowers, which is unsophisticated but very pleasant.

9:03 AM EST  
Anonymous Sandra said...

I wore Fracas as a teenager over protests it was too "grown up" for me. I've always loved big, beautiful florals and would like to try your samples.

9:13 AM EST  
Blogger Stacy said...

I would like to be entered in this great giveaway. My favorite floral is Jean Patou Moment Supreme.

9:41 AM EST  
Blogger ~elise said...

I'll agree on Antonia by Puredistance! It is truly amazing, though well out of my price range...I'm a huge fan of Joy and always am looking for something that brings to mind a giant bouquet like Joy does! Enter me in the draw!

10:11 AM EST  
Anonymous lorelie said...

My Sin, Crown Bouquet, Joy, these are some of the loveliest florals, but I'd love to find a big beautiful floral calling my name.
Wonderful article!

10:11 AM EST  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

Funny - I've really been craving these sorts of things lately, myself. I adore Amoureuse and VC&A's First is one of my very favorites in the category. The Dior Exclusive New Look 1947 falls into this category for me, although it just doesn't have much stick on my skin - I wish the formulation were a bit heavier. Chanel No. 5 never disappoints, and I'm a huge fan of Enlevement au Serail, which is technically a chypre, I suppose, but is a gorgeous, old-fashioned floral one of the classical school. I'd love to try the florals you wrote about, please enter me in the draw.

11:16 AM EST  
Anonymous Lavanya said...

What a wonderful and informative post Donna..theses perfumes sound so amazing. I'd love to be entered in the draw. Thanks

11:32 AM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

I've been wearing Joy since I was three years old, and she is probably what marked me for loving florals in general.

Like yu, I also love green florals, and look forward to exploring the ones you have mentioned, if I can find them!

I am constantly hearing Lauren described as a green floral, so I'll give it a mention. I wore it for years, and still love it,though they have butchered it in reformulation, like so many others.

11:42 AM EST  
Blogger Balutakat said...

Donna, I'm so glad you reminded me to try Josephine. Sadly I do not remember which perfume it was that my grandmother Josephine wore, but it was floral, intense (my mother complained about it bitterly, but I loved it) and larger than life, quite like her. I'd love to be entered in the draw! -Katherine B.

11:50 AM EST  
Blogger Murai said...

I bathed in Coty's Muguet Desbois when I was in my early very early teens. Still love the smell of Lilly of the Valley and since it grew around my childhood home it brings back nice memories.
My 'All-Grown-Up" floral is Fracas. Love....

11:59 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new to discovering perfumes, so I can't recommend anything. Still looking for that one perfume that is rich, elegant and will make me feel elegant and ladylike.
Would love to be entered in the draw.
Julia

12:44 PM EST  
Anonymous Marcella said...

I very much enjoyed your article! I used to love to smell my mom's Chanel No. 5 and my grandma's White Shoulders. I even wore the White Shoulders body powder in high school (a gift from my grandma). I was thrilled you mentioned Josephine by Rance. I've had my bottle for less than a year and it is one of my favorites. Please enter me in the drawing!

1:51 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put me in the drawing. I like the rose smells.

2:07 PM EST  
Blogger Dana said...

A lovely article, I have to try Josephine. Would love to be entered.

3:05 PM EST  
Anonymous Sujaan said...

Gosh, I haven't smelled any of these except that I think my mom at one time wore Tresor. Maybe I could find a floral that works on me after all. I haven't had any luck. This was a lovely article. Thank you.

3:12 PM EST  
Anonymous rosiegreen said...

I have very little experience with florals. I would love to try some great ones. Happy new year.

3:59 PM EST  
Anonymous Kym said...

I'd love to be entered in the draw. Does Amaranthine count as a floral bouquet? I adore it. Carnal Flower? Maybe not...but I love it. Joy, I adore in cooler weather. I feel elegant in this one. Many of the scents you mention, though, I've never sniffed and some I've never heard of! It would be great to investigate further.

4:08 PM EST  
Anonymous Kym said...

Reading the other replies I see I forgot to add Amoureuse. Perfection in a bottle. Therese - that must be a bouquet (?) But looking over my collection, I'd say my scents lean toward solifores. LOV (CpuA), tuberose (CF, NdT), roses (VdR, URC) jasmine (Carthusia Gelesomini). I also own Ralph Lauren Tuxedo which I don't know how to classify - classic floral, I think - and Norma Kamali Signature which I think is in the same category, I just don't know what that category is!

4:15 PM EST  
Blogger MoonRae said...

This is not the time to get all mushy on everyone....Detchema evokes all sorts of emotion with me.That was one of my mother's prized perfumes....as a little girl I remember her pouring it into a crystal bottle my father had bought for her in Germany.I have the bottle now and there are a few precious drops left....when I really start missing her,I just open the bottle
Thanks for the memories and Best Wishes to you for the New Year!!
Would love to be entered in the draw also

4:15 PM EST  
Anonymous ELizabethC said...

I love, love, love Amoureuse with its flowers and honey. Also really love Van Cleef & Arpels First (I am amused by the sternness of it). Please enter me in your drawing. Thank you!

4:32 PM EST  
Blogger samberg said...

My first big floral was Beyond Paradise, but my lingering favorite is L'Heure Bleu. It smells like a huge, varied flower arrangement looming over a silver tray of almond cookies.

Way to start the new year on a bold, trumpeting note!

4:58 PM EST  
Blogger acrossbee said...

I would love to find the perfect scent of a flower bouquet! I enjoy MPG Fleur d'iris and Annick Goutal's Grand Amour. Please include me in the draw.

7:34 PM EST  
Blogger Janet said...

Madame de Carven sounds wonderfulm. I will add my love to Antonia and Amoureuse. By Kilian's Liasions dangerouse is my go to floral. Lush!

9:19 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thanks Tama! I agree about Puredistance Antonia - it's a masterpiece. So glad you are enjoying the Crown Bouquet! And Secrete Datura is really lovely.

12:34 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Vinery, I too love Infini - they don't make 'em like that anymore! L'Aimant is great too -I never appreciated that one until I tried the vintage, and I wish they would reissue it and the other Coty scents with their original quality restored.

12:37 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Parfumista, thank you very much! More love for Antonia, and well-deserved!

I like your review of First - I love a good, big soapy floral! Your other favorites are great too.

12:41 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

sybil, I have heard of that Mont Blanc scent but I have never smelled it, I hope I can do so soon!

12:42 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

queen_cupcake, that Edwardian Bouquet sounds like exactly the sort of perfume I love, I must seek it out! I am such a hyacinth freak.

12:44 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Fernando, Chelsea Flowers is very pretty, I agree. I have not tried Royal Pavillon - yet!

1:00 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Sandra, I wish I had known about fracas at that age! :-)

1:01 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Stacy, you have excellent taste, Moment Supreme is an all-time classic!

1:01 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

~elise, Antonia is not in my budget either, but I do love it. And of course you just can't go wrong with Joy.

1:03 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you lorelie!

1:03 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

StyleSpy, I agree about New Look 1947 - it is really good, wonderful in fact but it just does not last - I hope they bring it out in an EDP one of these days. (I suppose an extrait is too much to hope for?)

1:05 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Lavanya, thank you so much!

1:06 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Tammy, that's really great about Joy! :-)

I loved Lauren back in the day, and it definitely belongs in this category! It's a shame what has been done to it.

1:08 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Katherine B., your grandmother must have been a woman of great style! I hope you do get to try Josephine.

1:09 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Murai, Muguet des Bois was an early favorite of mine too and I still love it!

1:10 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Julia, thanks for stopping by, I hope you find what you are looking for!

1:11 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you Marcella! White Shoulders is a true classic, and I wear it too - I have the vintage parfum which is really amazing. Isn't Josephine great? :-)

1:13 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Barbara, you are in!

1:14 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

tomatefarcie, I really need to try more Yves Rocher scents - I keep hearing good things. I have been trying to get their discontinued Pivoine, but it's hard to find and very pricey now.

1:15 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you Dana, I recommend Josephine most highly!

1:16 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you Sujaan, I hope you find a floral you love!

1:17 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

rosiegreen, you are in the draw!

1:17 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Kym, I think of Amaranthine as more of a floral-Oriental but is certainly lush enough to qualify as a big floral! Carnal Flower is one of my top favorites too but it's all about the tuberose - no other flower would dare make an appearance!

1:20 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Kym, I see you are not the only Amoureuse here fan, I obviously have to try that too! Wow, it's been ages since I have smelled Tuxedo, but I seem to recall that it was very elegant and sophisticated.

1:23 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

MoonRae, what a precious memory, and Detchema was so lovely. Thank you so much for sharing it here.

1:25 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

ElizabethC, another vote for Amoureuse! It must be really good stuff!

1:26 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Samberg, thank you, and I love your description of L'Heure Bleu!

1:27 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

acrossbee, thank you for mentioning Grand Amour, it is definitely one of the kind I am talking about!

1:28 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Janet, I will have to try my sample of Liaisons Dangereuses, for some reason I have not worn it yet.

1:30 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Hi everyone, I forgot to mention, the draw will be open through Sunday January 8! :-)

1:49 AM EST  
Blogger Madelyn E said...

Hi thank you for a lovely article . I would love to be entered . I like Diorissimo and Chanel. twenty-two among others ~~

1:56 AM EST  
Blogger Dink said...

Even though I do veer toward spices/woods, I do crave some simple florals at times like Pacifica's lilac or Jessica McClintock. Always loved Lauren until we all know what happened to that. Would love to be entered in the draw. Thanks!

7:47 AM EST  
Blogger Daly Beauty said...

Interesting observation. I LOVE a classic floral! Some of my faves include Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle, Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie, Cartier Panthére, Leonard de Leonard....We don't see many big florals these days, but its true, Puredistance is doing their part to fill the void!

9:41 AM EST  
Blogger cornlily said...

Fracas delights me now and then -- although I'm not sure it qualifies as a classic floral bouquet. I sometimes love Antonia's Flowers and Tiempe Passat, which do. Joy has lovely associations for me.

10:04 AM EST  
Anonymous Haunani said...

Loved the article! This is a fragrance genre that I'd like to learn more about, so please do enter me in the draw. Would Caron Acaciosa fit into this category? I love that one. I also love Henry Dunay Sabi, which is sadly discontinued. That is a kaleidoscopic green floral, I think, and just gorgeous!

12:16 PM EST  
Anonymous SML said...

I have worn fragrance almost every day since I was for the past 54 years, but, believe it or not, I'm a relative newcomer to the world of florals, always previously drawn to oriental, green and woody scents. Please enter me in the drawing. I'd love to be able to have a group of first-rate florals to sniff and learn about.

1:40 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite floral blend these days is Odalisque by PdN. I'm a guy and I wear this frequently. I recently gave a large decant to my "mom in law" and she loves it, too. I don't know what this is going to do to my S.O.'s imagination!

3:48 PM EST  
Anonymous Holly F. said...

Happy New Year! Sometimes a lush floral is the only thing that will suit my mood. I would love to be included in the draw!

6:16 PM EST  
Blogger OperaFan said...

Dear Donna - I adore floral bouquet perfumes (!) and must try the Crowns.
Absolutely agree that Antonia is a great modern, classy floral bouquet. My personal favorites (excluding all the big white florals and the Chanel No.5 smell-alikes) are Guerlain Chant d'Aromes and the 1987 Nina by Nina Ricci. Of course, Edwardian Bouquet and its cousin, Victorian Posy from Penhaligons, are awfully pretty, too.
I'd love to be in the draw.

8:59 PM EST  
Blogger LauraK said...

I really enjoyed your post. I found it looking for just what you described here. My all-time favorite is Joy, but I also enjoy Dior J'adore, and used to love to wear Crepe de Chine and Sortilege. I would like to find a sample of Snob by Le Galion, which is supposed to be similar to Joy. I tried Van Cleef & Arpel's First at someone's suggestion and did not care for it. Also not enamoured of Ma Griffe. I would love to sample your collection.

1:15 AM EST  
Blogger dabney rose said...

I don't know anything about commercial perfumes (so i think i should win the samples) but my own path is leading me to grow the classic flowers in my own garden & employ the 'olde' methods of extraction to make my own floral colognes.
An inspiring read all the same, for me!

6:20 AM EST  
Blogger Lexi said...

I'm a newly crowned perfumista and have recently discovered my love for big florals. My first reaction to Joy was lukewarm. Not a big love, but mostly, thinking that this is not me. Boy was I wrong! One of the things I discovered is that I can (and do!) wear everything! Beyond Paradise is one fo the few EL scents that I own. Other loves include No. 5 (in all forms) and some of the Amouage (Epic, Ubar, Jub 25, Gold). I recently tried 1000 Fleurs and am saving it for spring. Most of the scents you mentioned are new to me, so I'd really like to win. Thanks for the draw (crossing fingers!)

8:57 AM EST  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I had a hard time with florals when I first started getting into perfume- everything just seemed like some variation on rose, and was never as good as the actual flower.

But I've since found a few florals (I think, my classification might be off) that I love: Songes, Fracas, and Idylle. I only have a full bottle of Songes, but I'd love to add the other two to my collection sometime.

10:28 AM EST  
Blogger No Disassemble Charlie No. 5 said...

Joséphine by Rancé 1795 sounds like pure heaven! And pretty, please sign me up for the draw!

12:25 PM EST  
Blogger sunnlitt said...

I would love to be entered in the drawing--those big florals sound like such fun!!
I think that I wore them more when I was younger--now days, I seem to be in a rut of more ethereal scents.

Thanks for the drawing.

11:47 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you, Madelyn E! Diorissimo is a great one!

12:22 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Dink, I own and love Pacifica Lilac, and I used to wear Jessica McClintock ALL the time!

12:23 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Daly Beauty, I love your list! :-)

12:24 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

cornlily, I have yet to try Tiempe Passat, but I have heard good things about it.

12:25 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thank you Haunani! I have not had the pleasure of smelling Acaciosa, but it's on my "bucket list!"

I adore Sabi - I am holding on to my empty bottle and hoping I can find it at an affordable price someday. It's one of my very favorites, and I am still in denial!

12:28 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

SML, you are in! :-)

12:28 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

jmallow, Odalisque is gorgeous!

12:29 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Holly F. you are in, and good luck!

12:30 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

OperaFan, the Crowns are really wonderful!

I used to wear Chant d'Aromes in my younger days. I would love to have some of the "vintage" from back then, it's superb.

12:33 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Thaks so much, Laura K! I love Sortilege, and Snob is fantastic - it is indeed very much like Joy only perhaps not so lush. I have a mini of it that I treasure.

12:35 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

dabney rose, I am sure your natural colognes will be fabulous! You are in the draw!

12:36 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Lexi, how exciting for you! You are certainly starting at the top with those fragrances!

12:37 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Lizzie, I love Songes, but I did not at first - then one day I fell in love with it! You never know when lightning will strike.

12:39 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

No Disassemble Charlie No. 5 (love your blog!), Josephine is really great, I hope you get to smell it!

12:41 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

sunnlitt, you are in! I wear them less now too, for several reasons - I am hoarding the rare ones and some of my very favorites are just not office-friendly. However, when I am not at work I like to rock the big perfumes!

12:43 AM EST  
Blogger Faylene said...

Late to the party, I'm afraid, but I'd love to be included in the draw if it's still open. My latest floral adventures have been with Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile and Cartier Baiser Vole - both recent releases!

9:37 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Faylene, you are in! I love Baiser Vole, and I have been wanting to try the ADP Gelsomino - their other perfumes are of such high quality.

3:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Kym said...

I hope you're still reading responses because I just did a swap and received a sample of Jil Sander No 4. This must be a classic floral. It's lovely and reminds me of both Ralph Lauren Tuxedo and Norma Kamali signature. I'm dying to know what you think!!

8:11 PM EST  
Blogger Susan said...

oh, all of these sound divine and I haven't smelled any of them. Please do enter me in your draw!

10:51 PM EST  
Blogger Susan said...

...and I forgot to mention my favorite floral bouquet perfumes. I do enjoy Estee Lauder Beautiful and Arpege... and I have an appreciation for Boucheron as well.

11:00 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Kym, you are in! I love Jil Sander No.4 too, it's a real classic, so rich and powerfu.

12:03 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Susan, you are in - love your choices! Can't go wrong with Arpege!

12:04 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

THE CLASSIC FLORALS DRAW IS NOW CLOSED. The winner will be announced soon. Good luck everybody, and thanks for stopping by!

12:05 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home