Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Watch What You Wish For

By Tom

Last week I was complaining that it was just too darned warm to wear my favorite ambers.  Clearly someone up there was listening.  They must have also been in a very bad mood.  The highs this week haven't gotten much into the 50's and the lows are skimming the 30's.  So I've been in amber heaven.

One that I've been reaching for a lot is Uncle Serge's Mandarine Mandarin which I had previously said reminded me of smelling "exactly like tearing into the first Satsuma of the season in late fall".  That's still there, but perhaps since my bottle has mellowed (or I have) I get to the spices and labdanum portion of the program quicker.  I'm also smelling the celery along with the smoky tea.  It's a strange brew: very Lutens, but really nice on a chilly summer afternoon.

I know it's freezing practically everywhere else in the US (Oregon got something like 6" of snow).  What you wearing to ward off the chill?

MM is a Paris Exclusive, darn it.  I think the price is $200 EU, but don't quote me.

16 Comments:

Blogger Tama said...

Amber is funny on me - sometimes it smells like Play Doh. When it works, though,I like it a lot.

I wear all my gooey dark stuff in winter - Mona's Cuir and Vanille, Chene, Arabie, HDP Noir Patchouli, Coromandel, Black Afgano. I always think my favorite perfumes are my winery ones, but then warmer weather appears and I know that's a lie. But for now, I will enjoy them to the fullest.

2:32 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this must make me a bit of a contrarian, but I prefer my in your face white florals in the cold and my heavy, cuminy, skankfests when it's warm. I think Carnal Flower blows up like a 3D neon tuberose with its verdant crushed green stems when it's cold and Vero Profumo Rubj EdP (skankiest) sings it's siren song like nothin' else when it's warm and humid. Like my late great mother-in-law used to say, 'If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!'

7:45 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another Lutens comes out in the cold: Tubereuse Criminelle, especially the early blast of green orange blossom (by that I mean orange blossom trailing the wintergreen opening). FM's Noir Epices is another favorite when the brrrrr settles in. Again, the liquid orange - are you picking out a theme here?- beginning, bolstered by rose and spices makes me crave it in the cold.

8:18 AM EST  
Anonymous Mals86 said...

I have a sample of MM that I haven't yet tried. Perhaps today should be the day (it was 18F when I left the house at 8am to take the boys to school...).

10:59 AM EST  
Anonymous ghostranchguy said...

illuminum's "wild tobacco"... gloriously un-tobacco like yet stingingly spicy.. (or their "scarlet oud".. a quiet skin scent of deep deep festering woods).. both cozy beyond belief

1:43 PM EST  
Blogger Louise said...

Always love my ambers in the cold-TF, AS, and especially the discontinued, very briny IDPF Ambra Grisea. I've been wearing these in heavy rotation, and also my spices and incenses: Original CDG, Jacomo #8, Black Cashmere, DSH Cardomom and Kyphi, vintage Opium. But on especially dark days, I'm spraying Tam Dao-the lightness does pull away the blues.

7:07 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coromandel is my favorite cold weather scent. I wear it as much as possible because I love it and because the season for wearing it is too short!

7:25 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

I'm the same way

2:07 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

Good for you!

2:08 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Unknown-

Tubereuse is a wonderful one in the cold!

2:08 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mals-

Brrrr...

2:09 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ghostranchguy-

That scarlet oud is a keeper..

2:09 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Louise-

Great choices all!

2:10 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon2

Another great choice!

2:11 AM EST  
Anonymous Celebrity said...

Agreed to tama. Great Post.

7:52 AM EST  
Anonymous Maureen said...

I love Coco in the cold...like a lovely warm blanket. Also wearing Eau Premier. Would love to try Cormondel & Cuir de Russie...definately a Chanel girl. I'd also love to try Black Cashmere.

11:09 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home