Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sniff First, Read Later: A Lab on Fire What We Do In Paris is Secret

By Tom

If I'd actually read the copy on LuckyScent before smelling this I might have been more inclined to roll my eyes.  Calling themselves "The Unlikely Company: an enigma wrapped in mystery" and, well let me just let them say it: (from LuckyScent)

"We emphasize the hands-on and artisanal aspects of creating original fragrances along with our priorities for their safety, stability, freshness and quality. Each fragrance, created by a famous nose, is batched at a state-of-the-art factory in New Jersey but packaged by Brooklyn neighborhood artists whose hand-labeling sometimes results in serendipitous touches that lend individual character to each bottle."

Well, bully.

But I did smell it first, and you know what?  It is kind of all that.  It's got some of the raw comb honeyed lusciousness of Botrytis along with creamy woods and a fair bit of salty ambergris and drrty musks.  Even the dreaded lychee is so perfectly done here that I that wanted more.  I admit that I only gave this a cursory test since I was at ScentBar for a different mission but I liked this one.  It's a winner, especially for winter.  Although I think I might need the zip-tie packaging explained to me at some point..

Notes from LuckyScent, where I sampled: Bergamot, honey, lychee, Turkish rose essence, tonka bean, vanilla, heliotrope, tolu, sandalwood, ambergris, musks.  $110 for 60ML

Image: LuckyScent

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Sounds like something I would really go for, I love honey scents!

1:34 AM EST  
Blogger Martinus Scriblerus said...

A nice note, but thank you also for being frank about the PR swill that we have to wade through in pursuit of the love of fragrance.

Why can't they just say, 'some stuff smells good, but this - this smells REALLY good!' ? I would totally buy that bottle.

3:10 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one, I had gotten a sample of it a week or so ago, and it was the one I sprayed on this a.m. I like to try samples early in case they're horrible and I have to wash them off in the shower.

This is unique with the salty ambergris and vanillin sweetness. A lot of niche offerings will try to "cut' the vanilla note with wood (a lot of times cedar, in the ones I've smelled recently), but this ambergris? is more subtle, interesting and nicer.

6:41 AM EST  
Blogger Karin said...

I bought a bottle of this from the Lab on Fire website...and I immediately removed that zip tie, not knowing what it was for. But now I think it's supposed to be part of the bottle design???

I like the scent BTW!!!

8:14 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I think you'd like this one.

7:08 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

MS-

I hate most PR crap. Especially when the scent isn't good. I forgive this one the PR

7:08 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

That's a great tip!

7:09 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Karin-

I like it too! The zip-tie however..

7:10 PM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

I'm guessing this will smell amazing on some skin, but probably not mine.

And I think by removing the zip tie, Karin has let all the "secrets" out! :o)

9:00 PM EST  
Blogger marsha said...

Zip ties, huh!

8:50 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is actually a big perfume and "flavor" industry here in Jersey, although few brands dare to name this place d'appellation.
So why is this not "A Lab on Fire What We do in Bergen is Secret?"

9:17 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home