Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Foodie Sunday: Fruit

By Tom

Yesterday was the day we made the raised beds at Greystone in the Friends Community Garden. I think I mentioned a group of us were doing this: with the blessing of the City of Beverly Hills we're creating this garden, growing produce and giving it to local food banks. We got assistance from local boys and girls scout troops who will help out for their badges and school kids will help for Community Service credit. With their considerable help we got the first two 20' beds done, ready for transplanting seedlings on Wednesday and Sunday. Whole Foods Beverly Hills was nice enough to donate seeds already and bunches of us have been growing them since April. As a matter of fact, the lady who came up with the idea has replaces her front yard with a vegetable garden, saving money watering her lawn and saving even more never having to buy anything in the way of fruits or veg.

Whole Foods also donated some food and water for the volunteers, including what I'm going to focus on, fruit. They had a bunch, but the ones I indulges in were peaches, blackberries and raspberries. The peaches were great, actually ripe and juicy. The last time I bought a peach at the supermarket I think it was made of balsa. The berries were so delicious I wished for some crème fraîche. They were almost as tasty as the ones I used to get as a kid- the ones that we picked ourselves in the woods behind our house.

I was told to bring some of the extras home with me. I of course said no thanks. Yeah Right..

What are your favorite fruits?

Picture: Fruiter.org

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A ripe mango - succulent flourescent orange flesh smelling of peach, ginger and lime, then into your mouth, with sweet juices dripping down your chin and staining your white top!

Also lovely in a savoury salad with cooked chicken, lime peel and juice, chilli, sliced red onion and green leaves, with a touch of mayonnaise.

Jillie

2:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

The shorter list would be which fruits I don't like - I love most of them! Mangoes, peaches, apricots, strawberries, raspberries, jackfruit, tangerines, cherimoyas, watermelon, apples, cherries, you name it!

That sounds like a wonderful community garden project you have going. In your climate you will have something growing all year round!

2:25 AM EDT  
Blogger marsha said...

This sounds like a wonderful project! My favorites are cherries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches. I've recently acquired a taste for raspberries and pears - the only pears I've tasted till now came out of a can - and my friend brought me some from Whole Foods - Oh My Goodness - absolute heaven!

9:15 AM EDT  
Blogger JoAnne Bassett said...

What a great project.

I love raspberries, cantaloupe and strawberries..actually most fruit...

11:04 AM EDT  
Anonymous lynnette said...

I love fruit and usually keep a large bowl of fruit salad on the go in the fridge to be indulged in with yoghurt when the mood takes. I find it difficult to deal with fruit in perfume though, especially fresh fruity notes. Exceptions are boozy fruits and cherry - I quite like the turkish delight (loukhoum) styles or cherry/tobacco scents.

7:10 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home